Gibson Brands Forums

Burstbucker Pro's

rjc guitar

Hey!

I want to switch out my '57 Classics in one of my Les Pauls for Burstbucker Pro's, before I go through the "bay" hassle do any of you have a set you would be willing to part with? Really doesn't matter on the covers (Nickel-Gold-No cover) as I have extra Nickel covers. I read alot about how much people like them and I even installed a set in a Epi Les Paul for a customer and agree, they sound very good ! Just thought I would toss some in and compare the difference.

PM me if you can help me out!

Thanks

-Rj

The pickups are almost identical in construction and output' date=' personally I wouldn't bother.

Make your bridge p/u a 57 Classic Plus for a little more output, you'll see more change without altering your tone much.[/quote']

I agree. I prefer the Classic in the neck and the Classic Plus in the bridge...very similar to the bb's, but I feel they clean up a bit better and also are a little more smooth on the overdrive.

i just put a new pickup in my standard neck position but i dont have a bridge pickup for you > would you want the neck one for your guitar??ill probably get a new bridge pickup too but not anytime soon>

The pole spacing is the same for the BB and 57, so there's no difference between neck or bridge there.

However, Gibson often designates a position for a reason and the BB Pro is one of them...

The 57 will go in either slot according to their info, with the 57 Plus intended for the bridge.

Links to their accessories site;

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/_Burstbucker%20Pro/

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/_57%20Classic%20Humbuckers/

Again, I believe the 57 in the neck and 57 Plus in the bridge is as good as it gets.

'57 Classics are made the way they thought they were making PAF's at the time. The found out since that the windings were inconsistent, and the theory is that some of the more cherished PAF's (of course that's any one you can get your hands on in today's collectors market) had mismatched windings. So the burstbuckers have coils with slightly different amounts of wire on them, which would be the first difference compared to '57s. You've probably noticed that the Burstbucker 1 and 2 are used for the neck and bridge position on the Historic Reissues, and I'm told that the Custom Shop people consider these to be the closest you'll get to the classic PAF sound (whatever that is). The Burstbucker Pro's have higher output because of stronger magnets, and are in the production line Standards, my guess is that the marketing people think that's what the kids these days are wearing/listening to. None of that helps us to understand what the difference in tone is going to be.

I'd really like to hear from some folks who have compared the '57, '57 plus, Burstbucker 1,2, and Pro in the same guitar.

funny you should ask > i recently changed my neck pickup as i stated earlier in my standard from a burstbucker pro to a seymour antiquity that i got a sweet deal on > probably because they only had a neck one> which i play most of the time anyhow> now this is my opinion> i play fairly clean with a little bite > my burstbucker pro was very gainy and warm but i wanted to hear the more natural sound of the guitar which i think the alnico V's probably dont let you hear as much because of the hotness of the pickups> the antiquity has an alnico 2 and it deffinately sounds rounder and you get the tone of the guitar and sustain better i think> you loose the fullness of the alnico V but in the end you get a richer sounding pickup in my opinion> the alnico 2s are great> i had to lower my bridge pickup a little bit because it was a little bright after hearing the antiquity > so i roll the volume off to 8 or so > im deffinately getting an antiquity for the bridge or selling my 2 guitars for a vos> hope this helped > i think its really a crap shoot > you buy these pickups and you never know what you're going to get out of your guitar

Archived