Gibson Brands Forums

Low E string buzzing

guitar_randy

I've been taking a stab at best I can for the last couple hours and I didn't hurt anything,but didn't solve anything either.I just don't trust taking it in to anyone,but I may have to yet,the buzzing is getting annoying.

Is it possible to get an sg buzz free?

Could be a couple of things. But first off SG's are infamous for buzzing alot, now it could just be the SG curse, could be the slot in the nut is too low and you need to replace it or it could be truss rod needs to be adjusted which in that case your best bet is to take it to a pro tech and have them adjust it for you but if it's the nut then that's something you can do yourself.

Could be a couple of things. But first off SG's are infamous for buzzing alot' date=' now it could just be the SG curse, could be the slot in the nut is too low and you need to replace it or it could be truss rod needs to be adjusted which in that case your best bet is to take it to a pro tech and have them adjust it for you but if it's the nut then that's something you can do yourself.[/quote']

The nut is least of all those things I'd trust myself doing.

I've been messing with all the other things quite a bit yesterday.I am going to put a new set of strings on see if any changes.

If it's buzzing on the first 5 frets it's not the nut. If it was the nut the buzzing would go away when you fretted at the first fret. I'd look at the neck and see if maybe the truss rod isn't to tight and the neck is convex (bows up in the middle) rather than slightly concave. Get a straight edge and check, and while you're doing that look for a fret that might have popped up a bit. I was in Milwaukee last week and you went through a pretty big weather change last week, maybe it tweaked the neck a little.

While I'll be a son of a gun I think I fixed it.Between messing with my action,adjustiung truss rod I seemed to get nowheres yesterday.Today I found it did overnight lossen little more from the truss rod adjustment but I was frustrated to still have fret buzz.Now I changed the strings and,presto,the fret buzz is no more,anywheres.Now gotta see if I can get lucky enough to successfully set my intonation with my $15 tuner.Last time I tried doing this the neddled wouldn't sit still when playing note on 12th fret.See how it goes today.

So waiting or giving it overnight for the adjustment on the truss rod to take made sense,but ultimately changing my strings solved the dilema.They strings were not very old,and appeared to be kinda new looking because I would frequently wipe them down with that ernie ball string cleaner I recently got.Maybe the strings just lost there snap or springyness and that ultimatley was causing the fret buzz.Interesting. Wish me luck with the intonation.

• 3 weeks later...
Could be a couple of things. But first off SG's are infamous for buzzing alot' date=' now it could just be the SG curse, could be the slot in the nut is too low and you need to replace it or it could be truss rod needs to be adjusted which in that case your best bet is to take it to a pro tech and have them adjust it for you but if it's the nut then that's something you can do yourself.[/quote']

From 'Les Paul Fanatic's' response, sounds like SGs are notorious for buzzing. I just had mine set up by a tech (adjusted truss rod, intonation and action). Getting a bit of buzzing on the low E and the A strings. Mostly in the first few frets (up to about 5th or 6th). The buzz doesn't last long, and only when striking the strings with about medium to high pick force.

Do some people just live with the buzz. It's really only noticeable unplugged. It bothers me a bit, but I don't know if it bothers me enough to bring it back in.

How much buzz is acceptable (I guess it depends on the person - some probably wouldn't tolerate any, others might not care so much???).

cheers

Archived