Gibson Brands Forums

Ordered SG Standard Bass today!

Lungimsam

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Running out of gas patience... Think I'll have a heart to heart with sales guy and if he can't get me any info in a timely fashion I may move on. This is getting ridiculous.

It's been ridiculous for quite a while! Get one online - you'll have it in a couple of days and you can return it if you don't like it. I like to support local music stores because if we don't, they wont be around in the future. However, waiting months is out of the question. Your local dealer should understand.

I had to wait about a month for a Fender I didn't really need. Well, yeah, I did need it but that's another story. A month felt like forever. I can't imagine what three months is like, let alone six or more.

Hey Lungimsam; This is the G&L SB-2 I was telling you about that they made up to my specs in 2.5 months. I agree with the folks here, this and has been really out of line for a Std. stock mfg. bass.

Yeah, for this kinda wait I coulda ordered a '61 EB3 through the custom shop and had it by now.

I talked to the salesman today. He said all the LTD editions that are out now are being pushed by Gibson and are slowing things down for the standards.

He hopes to hear from the rep sometime this week. I think on Monday I will calhim againl. If still no ETA, I will think about going the s-water route, or maybe just look for a '60's EB3, which is what I really want anyway.

I just hope he'll return the deposit.

He had better return the deposit - or come up with the bass! My local music store has ordered a couple of basses for me - just to try! I've been dealing with them for 40 years - so that probably makes a difference, but they've never asked for a deposit or even complained if I didn't buy. If your dealer is small and doesn't move a lot of Gibsons, he's probably not going to take priority over a dealer that places large orders.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lungimsam; I was in a West Palm Beach GC Saturday afternoon, and they had an SG Std. on the wall. They called a Reissue. What ever. Anyway, the serial showed It was made Jan. 26, 2011. The finish on it looked like a great Heritage Cherry. They are turning out 2011 SG Std.

They are out there - Pull the trigger!

I think they're holding back on shipping to the smaller accounts. Apparently the larger accounts are getting the product. Have to go with Kelvinator, pull the trigger.

I hope it works for you. This is total garbage. A person shouldn't have to be put through CRAP like this get a bass. You're spending big bucks here, and they're treating you like you're begging, or getting something for free. Go for this, But consider your next purchase with this in mind. I only take a hit once, then next time, I get out of the way of the bus.

I honestly hope you get it within a reasonable time. A shame you have to almost threaten to cancel the order, to get them to ship a bass that you really should have had by now. [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

I was like a little kid,hearing you should hopefully get the SG Std. tomorrow, I forgot to mention the Marshall is in town. I should be picking it up Thursday morning. The neighborhood will never be the same.

This is a heck of a way to torture a customer. Jeez, they should be a bit more straight forward with you. It took Fender far less than the time they told me to send a P-Bass to me. A Fender isn't as nice an object nor does it take quite the care to build, but I think most of us could have figured out how to build a bass from scratch in the amount of time it has taken Gibson to send you a bass.

Well, at least we helped keep the bass forum alive here! Ha ha!

But I agree, what a tremendous wait it's been.

Thanks all around for supporting me through this massive GAS attack I have had all this time! You guys are the best.

And thanks for all the info and input to all my questions I've had about Gibson Basses since I've joined the forum. Noone better to ask than actual gear users.

@gsgbass:

Let us know how the Marshall turns out. Here's to hoping it's the one you've been looking for!

You and me both. From what I've seen, and heard, the fan motor is no longer an issue. Love the sounds the Marshall puts out. Your bass is going to be sooo damn cool. Nylons are on my SB-2 now.

Archived