Gibson Brands Forums

Two 45s

chasAK

Now I have two 45s!! One is a vintage model made in 1945. The other one is a 2008 MC. The vintage in made by Colt, the 2008 by Gibson. After not playing for almost 25 or better years, I decided to start playing again. No, I probably won’t be playing out. After reading maaaaany of your post I felt bad that I got a MC rather that a TV. But that is what was provided at the time and I am a happy camper.

I had a bone nut and saddle put on and fossilized ivory end pins. The Luther only used the fossilized ivory found here in AK. Anyway, I had three question.

1. I do not like my new strings. They are too bright. I like a mellow sound. The strings are breaking in but still a little too bright. What strings should I try next (gage 12s)?

2. Has anyone established a tonal difference when the pickup is removed?

3. I have a slightly dead note b flat on the high E string, if I lower the string a half step the dead note is then found on the 5th fret. Is this something I have to live with or is there a solution?

Ps. I have an unrelated question I will probably ask at another time. By the way this is my first post.

Now I have two 45s!! One is a vintage model made in 1945. The other one is a 2008 MC.

If you get a chance to trade for a 1945 J-45 and 2008 Colt, go for it! [smile]

1. I do not like my new strings. They are too bright. I like a mellow sound. The strings are breaking in but still a little too bright. What strings should I try next (gage 12s)?

I recommend John Pearse Phos Bronze to people with this complaint. They're often happy with the result, but everyone's ears are different.

2. Has anyone established a tonal difference when the pickup is removed?

Some people have established a tonal difference when a gnat shed a whisker on their guitar. The only way to find out whether you can hear a difference -- or at least that you think that you can -- is to give it a try.

3. I have a slightly dead note b flat on the high E string, if I lower the string a half step the dead note is then found on the 5th fret. Is this something I have to live with or is there a solution?

Could very well be a dead note, which is the opposite of a wolf note, caused by excessive damping rather than excessive resonance. Pretty much every reasonably sensitive acoustic guitar has one or two. You could try having a luthier do some work on the braces to improve the situation. But folks with nice violins have been known to spend tens of thousands of dollars trying to eliminate wolf tones -- only wind up with bigger problems than they started with. If it's really just slightly dead, my advice would be to leave it alone.

Welcome to the forum!

== Bob R

Welcome.

Good to have you posting.

Congrats on two 45s. B)

Regarding yer dead note - If he hasn't already, have your luthier check the level of the frets in that area.

Congrats on the 45's! I think the John Pearse phbronze in a 12-53 should sound nice. The heavier guage could provide more tension and solve your other buzz/fretting issues that you mentioned.

I would also strum it loud and hard and give the strings a few days to settle-in and then make your judgements on string/guitar tone.....and then any adjustments to the nut/truss rod etc. to prevent buzz/dead notes etc.

Good Luck and have fun, Rod

Thank you for your advice. The dead spot is livable. The John Pearse Phos. string sound interesting. I think I will try them next time. Concerning the gage, I have 12s on now, but what has been your experiences with the 13, or mediums? Zomb. mentioned 13s. I use to use med. on an old j160 (that I traded for this j45) and the bridge started to come unglued and the sound board was slightly pulled up. In fact, none of the local guitar shops would consider a trade, the local guitar luthier does not do resell and local violin luthier, who also fixes and sell guitars did not want to give me much for it. The guitar luthier lead me to a man with whom I made the deal. Short story long, has anybody else had this problem with med. strings?

Secondly, would the flat wounds have the acoustic tone( whatever that is!!)? I use to use them on my Fender Jazz Bass (which is long gone), but I never heard of them on an acoustic guitar.

Archived