Gibson Brands Forums

Missing Ground Wire

Culov

I recently bought a Epiphone Thunderbird Bass on craigslist, and whenever i plug it into the amp there is a buzzing sound. The sound can be reduced to nothing if I just push the cord into the output jack a little more. I opened up the bass and realized that there is no ground wire connected to the output jack. I found a diagram online on where to connect the ground wire, and was wonder if I just added one would this possibly fix the buzzing issue?

its worth a try. you might want to change out that jack at the same time .

yup, i would probably replace the jack plug too. It also occurs to me that if the earth wire is missing that perhaps someone has already been in there doing their own modifications. it might be worth looking up a wiring diagram and checking that every thing else checks out.

Culov,

Welcome to the forum.

The jack you bought is probably imperial. Epiphones use metric parts.

You can either buy a metric or you can put some tape over the hole to protect the finish and open it up

a tiny bit with a small file.

As far as a metric jack....Where do you live? This forum is world wide.

Willy

The ground wire was probably inadvertently twisted off by the previous owner trying to tighten the nut.

If the jack you bought says Switchcraft on it, that's the one you want to install - best industry standard jack and far better than the Epiphone factory junk.

I live in California. I was able to solder on a ground wire which helped ease the buzzing. The only way to stop the buzzing all together if I have the tone at 0. Is it normal to have buzzing when I put the tone up? Btw thanks for all the suggestions.

Culov,

I've no experience with the T bird bass. But, as far as I do know it has TB humbuckers in it. If that is the case,

then excessive buzzing does not sound right.

Have you narrowed it down to the guitar?

Check by trying another cable. They do go bad.

If you have access to another guitar, try that and make sure the problem is not with your amp.

Have you tried it in another outlet?

Once those are eliminated, at least you will know for sure that it is a ground issue with your guitar.

If it is your guitar, there could be a loose wire. (you've already had one.)

Does the buzzing go away when you touch the strings? If not that might be a good sign as the bridge/tailpiece ground

might be OK.

As it was used, who knows what the other guy did?

He could have swapped out the pups at some point and put the originals back incorrectly.

A good eyeballing would be a good place to start after eliminating everything else.

Willy

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a Epiphone Thunderbird Bass on craigslist, and whenever i plug it into the amp there is a buzzing sound. The sound can be reduced to nothing if I just push the cord into the output jack a little more. I opened up the bass and realized that there is no ground wire connected to the output jack. I found a diagram online on where to connect the ground wire, and was wonder if I just added one would this possibly fix the buzzing issue?

I have the same problem with that noise, its VERY annoying when trying to record or play a small acoustic gig. The noise disappears when I touch the metal of the jack but it doesnt seem like a grounding problem.

Archived