Gibson Brands Forums

Since we are on the subject of "shredding."

duane v

I've been playing trumpet since the 2nd grade, and by the time I was in 6th grade I was able to scale up to a G above high C with ease, and eventually became proficient playing in the upper register by the time I entered high school.... I was considered a trumpet shredder..... I was always a better trumpet player than guitar player, well because I studied privately for 8 years, which begs the argument I probably should have taken some guitar lessons at some point [biggrin]

Anywhoo, here's my favorite trumpet shredder [thumbup]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAFu7USo54U

I went to my friend's jazz gig, and the girl playing alto sax was shredding. She had this two minute solo and she started doing fingertaps on the keys with both hands, it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. Some of those cats are amazing players and don't get the respect they deserve

I went to my friend's jazz gig, and the girl playing alto sax was shredding. She had this two minute solo and she started doing fingertaps on the keys with both hands, it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. Some of those cats are amazing players and don't get the respect they deserve

One thing about jazz it's an acquired taste. The average ear has trouble deciphering everything that is going on. Also it takes years and years and years of practice to play in a jazz band, so it's not very obtainable for musicians just starting out.... which is why we have rock n roll [biggrin]

Oh boy !!! I had a nice sax years ago, got as far as a couple of simple songs, gave up....Unlike guitar, self learning sax is HARD, well for me, not possible...I recently bought a trumpet; I can make the sounds of animals in distress, and thats it so far, but it's fun as heck.....I have a deep appreciation for the skill on all of those. The tromebone appears to be simple to play, but, I'll bet that I'm wrong there as well.......Jazz ????? Yup, kind of a learned and / or acquired taste. Much of it I love, but just like rock and roll, there are so many genres within genres.....Thanks for this thread. Yeah Duane, there are truly many many current and past ( deceased ) Jazz players ( shredders if I can use that term here ).....:-k

I gotta say that I do not consider Kenny G or Yanni jazz musicians, which is my opinion, but I don't wanna get shot down and dragged through the mud for stating an IMHO thingee.....

[scared] :unsure:

Oh boy !!! I had a nice sax years ago, got as far as a couple of simple songs, gave up....Unlike guitar, self learning sax is HARD, well for me, not possible...I recently bought a trumpet; I can make the sounds of animals in distress, and thats it so far, but it's fun as heck.....I have a deep appreciation for the skill on all of those. The tromebone appears to be simple to play, but, I'll bet that I'm wrong there as well.......Jazz ????? Yup, kind of a learned and / or acquired taste. Much of it I love, but just like rock and roll, there are so many genres within genres.....Thanks for this thread. Yeah Duane, there are truly many many current and past ( deceased ) Jazz players ( shredders if I can use that term here ).....:-k

I gotta say that I do not consider Kenny G or Yanni jazz musicians, which is my opinion, but I don't wanna get shot down and dragged through the mud for stating an IMHO thingee.....

[scared] :unsure:

Kenny G is NOT jazz...

Jazz is weird for me, its a love hate relationship. I love the stuff with a good head, a couple of tasteful solos, then the head repeats.

I hate the stuff that is a wank fest, where everyone in the band gets a minute to solo. That is brutal to sit through

Jazz has cats in abundance...many of whom I dig

The arch-shredders in my book are Charlie Parker, John Coltrane and Dizzy Gillespie

Who are revered by many except your's truly

I find their recordings irritating

And due to their be-bop leanings

Rather soul-less

V

I Dig a Pony ................John Lennon

:-({|=

Paws for thought....... [biggrin]

I like the old school stuff. Strangely enough, I like my jazz with no guitar, totally acoustic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvzrzZE2WwU

It amazes me how much more far ahead jazz musicians were compared to rock musicians back in the 50s and 60s. I think Charlie Parker even goes back to the 40s!

I think that's why Rock caught on....Jazz was just too difficult for most aspiring musicians

Archived