Gibson Brands Forums

How to learn slide guitar?

awel

As others have mentioned, it's really important to use the fingers of your fretting hand to dampen the strings behind the slide.

Another thing you can do to control unwanted noise is to keep the fingers of your picking hand on the strings you're not playing. That gives additional protection against the noise. This tip comes from the Warren Haynes video that the guys were talking about. You should check that video out.

Keep at it, and you will get better.

BTW: Thanks for that tip with the electrical tape, surfpup!

A few thoughts on slide playing...my first inspiration was 'Little Red Rooster' by the Stones....

I play 90% in standard tuning for convenience and avoiding the need to swap guitars

It is easy to 'ground out' onto the frets with a low set electric

Acoustic and Electric have slightly different approaches to slide playing

I use glass for lightness and chrome-on-brass for heavier tone

There are some steel slides with a PVC layer to minimise unwanted overtones etc

It is a good idea to have a cheap guitar tuned to an open chord, with a high action for experimentation

I use open D(E form) and open G(A form) tuning...each having it's own advantages

Inspirations for slide playing

Lowell George, Elmore James, Chris Rea, Ry Cooder, George Harrison, Muddy Waters, Jeremy Spencer.

:-({|=

V

Back in the olden days girls' lipstick cases were metal. I had one that fit perfectly on my left pinkie finger. It offered a light touch to the strings and the "free" lipstick made my sis happy as I recall.

Ain't really played slide since it went bye bye during one of my moves.

Actually, playing in an open tuning without a slide works too. Sometimes better, at least for me.

m

Actually, playing in an open tuning without a slide works too. Sometimes better, at least for me.

m

I agree. One of my favorite things to do. I generally keep an acoustic tuned to open D for just that purpose.

I've tried the DADGAD, but I seem to like open D better for some reason...

(Then again I guess the F# must be the reason) [biggrin]

I agree. One of my favorite things to do. I generally keep an acoustic tuned to open D for just that purpose.

I've tried the DADGAD, but I seem to like open D better for some reason...

(Then again I guess the F# must be the reason) [biggrin]

There are some really nice sounds available with DADGAD as used by Davy Graham, Jimmy Page, John Renbourn etc

To me they are all refreshing as a change from std tuning

Whether for slide use or not

V :-({|=

Archived