Gibson Brands Forums

How to learn slide guitar?

awel

Hi,

I really like the sound of slide guitar but I don't want (now) to tune my guitar in any open tuning, I have seen some lessons video on youtube about slide in std tuning but I cannot make it sound correctly mostly on the high E string (lot of parasite sounds).

Could you help me?

Perhaps it is my action but I don't think I am a low action player.

I play slide in standard tuning.

The trick is not to give up!

Also, be sure that you mute the strings behind the slide. For instance,

if you have the slide on your ring finger - your 1st or 2nd finger should

be muting the strings (behind the slide).

Again, it just takes time.

Yep. It's all about muting. I don't play slide in standard tuning generally. When I do, I use a slide on my ring finger and let my fretting hand pinkie totally mute the high E string until I need it. Got that trick from watching a close up video of the Rev. Willy G. playing "Tush". With the E muted, if I stick to the D,G, and B strings it's just like playing in open G!

As mentioned already, find the video of Warren Haynes teaching slide in standard tuning. And stick with it - it takes a while to make it musical (again the key is muting).

because the slide isnt pressing the string against the fret, so the vibrations

pass under the slide and go onto the other side which makes a funny but nasty sound.

Try it out...youll see what I mean

Thanks for bringing this up Tehbeast and to all the folks with the tips. I bought a slide a couple months ago, tried it and put it away. I'll take it back out today and try a little muting. I too made sounds that scared my animals.

Dave

I don't even attempt slide if anybody else is around.

The technique must be mastered to some extent before any real "music" will be produced.

I even have an old 50's Gretsch lap steel that I don't play if anybody's within earshot.

But seeing guys play slide live (Love Foghat!) inspired me to try - it looks so simple.... [blink]

You guys prefer the glass or the metal slides?

I can never get a good feel for the metal ones.

it really depends on the sound you want. steel slides give a good sound, I personally like brass slides

the best. IMO they give the best sound. my buddy uses a ceramic, he has a REALLY nice sound from his slide guitar.

glass slides arent really my favorite but they are light and sound pretty cool.

it really depends on the sound you want. steel slides give a good sound, I personally like brass slides

the best. IMO they give the best sound. my buddy uses a ceramic, he has a REALLY nice sound from his slide guitar.

glass slides arent really my favorite but they are light and sound pretty cool.

Could you please give your settings (strings actions) to play slide; I really think my strings are too close to the neck?

Brass or glass generally. I like glass on the electric but use brass on the acoustic more. I also

bought a length of copper tubing at the hardware store years ago and have been cutting my own slides

from it for a long time. The copper sounds great on an acoustic - a real gritty type tone.

Which reminds me of a good tip for getting slides to fit. The copper is a little big for my pinkie so I

found I can cut strips of electrical tape the length of the slide and then use them to line the inside

I get the right diameter. Thought I'd pass that along.

what guitar do you use?

for my strat I use standard settings:

low E: 5/64

high E: 3/64

same settings on my ES-335

And you don't have the high E that 'buzz' with your slide?

on my strat it is almost ok but on my SG and LesPaul that 'buzz' even when I am playing single note on the high E string.

take a look at this icon. Joe Walsh, hes a slide master. his notes are crisp, right on the note.

hes the reason I learned slide guitar. oh AND LOOK AT THAT TALK BOX SOLO! [thumbup]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcveyL_7xn8&feature=related

Damn right man, he just makes slide playing look so easy. That's

from the first Crossroads concert isn't it?

And you don't have the high E that 'buzz' with your slide?

on my strat it is almost ok but on my SG and LesPaul that 'buzz' even when I am playing single note on the high E string.

no I dont, you just have to be really light and crisp on the slide

Damn right man, he just makes slide playing look so easy. That's

from the first Crossroads concert isn't it?

I concur, when the stars play the slide, they make it look SO EASY!!!

That's why their pros..

yea man...I use Joe's techniques when I play slide. I use my dunlop brass 222-4 slide.

sounds real nice. if I had any REAL advice for slide guitar, it would be to play the

note at the top of the fret. gives the best sound and theres no chance of "trippy"

notes [thumbup]

35020-l.jpg

Archived