Gibson Brands Forums

New member with a question.

brazil66

Hi; Just signed up today. I've owned lots of Gibsons over the years....but currently, I'm without. I want to remedy this , and I'm looking at a Gibson 12 Fret L-20 limited edition unit.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying one of these yet...they're supposedly rare. Are they Montana Custom Shop guitars? And is the build quality, as good as one might expect? I had one of those Robert Johnson L-1's and it was superb.

Anyone here have one...had one, or played one and care to comment.

Thanks; I appreciate the opportunity to join your forum.

Michael

Hi Michael and welcome. I must admit I didn't know Gibson did a 12 fret as I spent most of last year looking for one, a 12 fret I mean.

However you will find some crits(all good) over at the Harmony site. As far as I can see Martin hold this market with their 00015S but it,like most other 12s has a wide neck.

I ended up buying a Tanglewood TW73 the early ones have Les Paul like necks just right for me. Very nice guitar I can recomend it. Good luck in your search.

Hi; Just signed up today. I've owned lots of Gibsons over the years....but currently, I'm without. I want to remedy this , and I'm looking at a Gibson 12 Fret L-20 limited edition unit.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying one of these yet...they're supposedly rare. Are they Montana Custom Shop guitars? And is the build quality, as good as one might expect? I had one of those Robert Johnson L-1's and it was superb.

Anyone here have one...had one, or played one and care to comment.

Thanks; I appreciate the opportunity to join your forum.

Michael

onewilyfool -- he posts here in the acoustic section almost daily...he owns one of the original L-20's and it is a really sweet one of a kind "keeper".... has a really nice woody sound. I believe just this year Gibson has come out with a remake of these. I don't know if onewilyfool has had a chance to compare his original with the current ones or not.

If onewilyfool doesn't reply to you on this ...you might try PM'ing him as I think he can give you some info on L-20's in general if not the current release.

Thanks node...fret. This unit is to arrive tomorrow, for a tryout. I'll post pics and findings after a bit. I'll be trading a Martin for it.

i'll keep an eye out for Mr. onewilyfool.

Really miss having a Gibson.

Michael

I'm pretty sure, you will like this one......is it the Rosewood or Koa model????

Oh c'mon flash the pic of yours

(that is the L20 not the other pics you may carry about your person LOL)

You KNOW you want to!!

I notice from a photo the L-20 on the way has a reverse belly bridge. After doing a search...I see an L-20 with the bridge the other way (non-reverse) also...same make and model 2 different orientations.. What's up with that?

Opinions.?

It's Rosewood/ red label

Michael

Archived