Gibson Brands Forums

Orville by Gibson

notaplayer

I own an Orville by Gibson Firebird, made in the Terada factory in the 90's, and I've played a couple of Orville Les Pauls. From what I've seen, I've found the Orville's to be really well made, better quality than the 1960's Gibsons I own. I don't own any recent Gibsons, so I can't comment on current build quality. The binding and inlay work on the neck of my Orville is first class, and it's probably the best feeling neck of all my guitars, except maybe another MIJ guitar, an 84 Strat. Sound-wise my Orville came with Gibson USA pickups, and sounds as good plugged in as my Gibson Firebird. For what it's worth, the old Gibson sounds better unplugged.

Very well built guitars. Some would say it was better then the gibsons they were making at that time.

Were talking about the MIJ ones correct?

I remeber reading that there were a few made in china as well for epi or something like that.

Anybody want to comment on this? In my opinion they seem pretty good if not better. Maybe the wood is questionable.

How many have you played? are you saying you compare them to a Gibson?

what Gibson model/line/year did you compare them to?

Demoon,

I don't believe Orvilles were ever made in China. Some of the lower end ones were apparently made in Korea, but that's not for sure. The "Orville by Gibson" line with Gibson USA pups was higher end than the plain "Orville" line, and some of the flame top Les Pauls and es335's are very, very good guitars. Personally, I've played 5 different models, and I'm very impressed by MIJ build quality.

I've only ever played one.

It was from 1996 (I believe) and was their version of a '59 re-issue Les Paul in a Heritage Cherry-burst plaintop finish.

Craftsmanship was excellent. It played really nicely; had a very comfortable '59 profile' neck; a pair of '57 Classic' p-ups and the hardware was all top-quality.

No bad issues with it at all.

As I said at the start; I've only ever played one.

P.

Archived