Gibson Brands Forums

New Chinese Guitar

Watchdogg

Thought I would share my latest gas attack. As I have been pining over a rosewood Martin for some time, but that HD-28v and om-28 marquis was not in the budget anytime soon. So I decided to try this Silver Creek 000 T-170 solidwood rose/spruce. Musicians Friends have been offering them as well as a mahogany ooo and a D versions as Stupid Deal of the day for as little as $89.00 and free shipping.

Had to spend sometime setting it up, but it was time well spent. Nice little finger picker, light as a feather, responsive, resonant, fairly loud, nice tone. One of the nicest sub 1k guitars I have ever owne. For under $300.00 with a decent HS case definitely a wow for the price.

76987_157364164308730_100001054411870_288623_8310552_n%5B1%5D.jpg?psid=1

76418_157364217642058_100001054411870_288624_535689_n%5B1%5D.jpg?psid=1

Yeah I had heard about them a while back and missed the $89.00 deal (thanks AGF for not allowing pricing) and figured with MF 45 day return policy I had little to loose when they marked the T-170 to 189.00 which is a 000ec clone, another $69.00 buys a decent hardshell case. I still see a nice rosewood martin in my future, but for 1/10 the price this will do for now. And I can take it out of the house without worrying about it being out of my sight. I strongly suggest taking a look at these guitars if in the market for a decent playing and sounding solidwood guitar for under $200.00

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats! I have a Recording King ROS-626 that is my all-time favorite for sound and playability, and I've owned some very nice & expensive guitars over the years. The only thing that continually bugs me is that it wasn't made in America, but not much of anything else I own was either so what's a boy to do?

Well built low priced guitars are the biggest difference between these days and the old days when the gap in quality between Harmonies, Stellas and the like up to Martin, Gibson, Guild was huge. Now they are in the same ballpark in a lot of ways. They have similar specs and are properly built in almost all instances with good playability the norm.

I don't own any of the Asian makes. Maybe I'm a snob. I have no such thing as a house guitar. I take my Guild or Gibson wherever I want to go. I can't see owning a fine, high priced, guitar and leaving it in the house while I go forth with a guitar I like less- price regardless. If two guitars compete for playing time and one wins all of my attention then the other goes. If I had a $2000 guitar trapped in the house while I was out playing the $200 guitar I would sell one. When I go out to play and look around at the guitars there I see lots of expensive guitars and a fair number of cheapies too. In each case I think the player is playing the best he owns.

In the end it's all good. There is very little crap out there and whatever your price point you can find a good player. That may be the best indicator of all that this is the "Golden Age of Luthiery".

I've played some very good Asian guitars. Parkwood, Blueridge, Recording King, etc. Fit and finish on these is pretty amazing. They still cut a few corners, like the necks are not from one solid peice of wood, but good workmanship inside and out. Where they fall down is tone. Maybe they are just young, however, they will learn to "voice" their guitars over time and will be right up with American made guitars in a very few short years. They have access to be best tonewoods just like American companies, so it is just a matter of time.......

Archived