Gibson Brands Forums

image scale on?

S t e v e

I'd venture the monitor sets the bar anymore. I've not seen anything but the lowest of low end cards that wouldn't provide plenty of resolution.

Yeah, I think you are right. My wife and I have the same displays but very different video adapters. Hers has the exact same 96/120/custom dpi settings.

Maybe I'm confused, but isn't the maximum resolution on a computer monitor 72-96 DPI anyway? In which case an image that is 3240 x 2430 at 300 DPI will be very wide (way outside the browser window) but not necessarily "look" any better.

Well in theory your correct but when you force the size down to normal monitor output resolution you should end up with a finer crisper looking image. More information per pixel... Good example watch a video that is encoded at 320 X 240 and zoom it to full screen or double 620X240 and notice how pixilated it is. Now take a video encoded at 620 X240 and watch it at half the size 320 X240 and look at how nice the picture looks... I know this to be true of video and I imagine it is essentially the same for photos and graphics

More useless knowledge....

Something like that. Or maybe something else. I think magazine photos are like 72 DPI, and newspaper somewhat less.

Most magazines have a res. of between 300 and 400dpi. Some, Fine Art journals for instance, are even higher. 350 seems to be the norm.

As has been said; typical screen res means that images need be no bigger than 72dpi. There is no point in posting anything finer unless it's so that someone can download and print the image.

P.

yea i get that but can do without the hassle, my point is why have image scale on if it dosen't work? [rolleyes]

Well, the high MP pics are meant to be used only when you are going to print on larger paper...so you don't have to stretch the pic out to get it to an 8x10 size or larger.

If you are not printing, you probably only need 5MP or less and a smaller image size. That's my experience anyway...

I take all my pics in RAW format and then export to JPG when I want post online...usually works fine..they are still rather large (2.8MB) but not crazy.

Archived