Gibson Brands Forums

Need some info on this Les paul

jeffbeck27

1st post so i'm going to try and upload pics with this.

This guitar is a 2010 R8 Vos figured top.

No other info was given with it.

The color is unique and just what I'm looking for but I don't know what it's called.

I also think it's new for 2010 models as I have never seen this color before.

It looks like a faded Burst, mix of cherry and faded tobacco, perfect.

Any info would be appreciated as I gotta find one and no shop around St louis has one.

Thanks

ps after viewing the pictures i uploaded they jumped a lot in saturation, the original is more like the description, a faded out 58 Cherry sunburst.

post-27594-023371600 1291392961_thumb.jpg

post-27594-060763900 1291392980_thumb.jpg

1st post so i'm going to try and upload pics with this.

This guitar is a 2010 R8 Vos figured top.

No other info was given with it.

The color is unique and just what I'm looking for but I don't know what it's called.

I also think it's new for 2010 models as I have never seen this color before.

It looks like a faded Burst, mix of cherry and faded tobacco, perfect.

Any info would be appreciated as I gotta find one and no shop around St louis has one.

Thanks

ps after viewing the pictures i uploaded they jumped a lot in saturation, the original is more like the description, a faded out 58 Cherry sunburst.

The color is probably a ' bourbonburst.' It is probably a Custom Shop model. The back looks like a one piece, which would mean a CS re-issue. It is my understanding that some 58 reissues are called 'Cloud' guitars, meaning a re-issue that's chambered; I'm not saying that this one is. It may be the model which retails for around $5200 but sells for around $3600 ish. PM me for closer pricing info. I am not one of the resident experts, and I trust that they will build upon my limited knowledge. Welcome to the lounge, where everything is serious and politics are never discussed. Musician's Friend, ZZ Sounds, and other online retailers probably carry these models. I like this color, could be their 'ice tea' or like I mentioned before, the 'bourbonburst.' The good thing with me answering is that the ones who know will correct my errors, and will add to the info.....We'll start here. It may take time for others to add, so be patient. The Moderator knows his Gibbies, and he will help out as well. It is a beautiful LP.......

The color is probably a ' bourbonburst.' It is probably a Custom Shop model. The back looks like a one piece, which would mean a CS re-issue. It is my understanding that some 58 reissues are called 'Cloud' guitars, meaning a re-issue that's chambered; I'm not saying that this one is. It may be the model which retails for around $5200 but sells for around $3600 ish. PM me for closer pricing info. I am not one of the resident experts, and I trust that they will build upon my limited knowledge. Welcome to the lounge, where everything is serious and politics are never discussed. Musician's Friend, ZZ Sounds, and other online retailers probably carry these models. I like this color, could be their 'ice tea' or like I mentioned before, the 'bourbonburst.' The good thing with me answering is that the ones who know will correct my errors, and will add to the info.....We'll start here. It may take time for others to add, so be patient. The Moderator knows his Gibbies, and he will help out as well. It is a beautiful LP.......

Thanks for the info,

I have been looking for 3 years now for a R8 and while i'm limited to the local shops i have seen a few of every colored they list as being offered.

I have never seen anything close to this as it doesn't look like Faded Tobacco Burst, Washed Cherry Burst, Iced Tea Burst, Bourbon Burst, Lemon Burst and Sunrise Tea Burst finishes that i have seen.

This color reminds me of Pearly Gates, faded out cherry with amber clear and a very subtle burst, perfection in my mind. It has a nice figured plain top.

I have an email to the owner of the guitar for more info but he hasn't responded yet, if I get it I will add it here.

I'm on a mission!

Thanks for the info,

I have been looking for 3 years now for a R8 and while i'm limited to the local shops i have seen a few of every colored they list as being offered.

I have never seen anything close to this as it doesn't look like Faded Tobacco Burst, Washed Cherry Burst, Iced Tea Burst, Bourbon Burst, Lemon Burst and Sunrise Tea Burst finishes that i have seen.

This color reminds me of Pearly Gates, faded out cherry with amber clear and a very subtle burst, perfection in my mind. It has a nice figured plain top.

I have an email to the owner of the guitar for more info but he hasn't responded yet, if I get it I will add it here.

I'm on a mission!

We will be here. Be patient. Missions are good. Re-issue missions are the best...

Try this link:

http://www2.gibson.c...S/Features.aspx

Should be one of the colors listed.... you'll likely be able to tell based on what you see. Of the ones listed, Sunrise Teaburst comes closest to matching your description, at least to my eye :).

Here are samples:

Iced Tea Burst

2008-gibson-les-paul-standard-plus-iced-tea_120631655048.jpg

Sunrise Tea Burst

310L%2BTTMhyL.jpg

Lemon Burst

04.jpg

Bourbon Burst

r2.jpg

Washed Cherry Burst

YI0409D8E.jpg

Faded Tobbacco Burst

10.jpg

Maybe one of these will help you match!

Great axe!

Welcome to the forum and Have fun!!

Try this link:

http://www2.gibson.c...S/Features.aspx

Should be one of the colors listed.... you'll likely be able to tell based on what you see. Of the ones listed, Sunrise Teaburst comes closest to matching your description, at least to my eye :).

Here are samples:

Iced Tea Burst

2008-gibson-les-paul-standard-plus-iced-tea_120631655048.jpg

Sunrise Tea Burst

310L%2BTTMhyL.jpg

Lemon Burst

04.jpg

Bourbon Burst

r2.jpg

Washed Cherry Burst

YI0409D8E.jpg

Faded Tobbacco Burst

10.jpg

Maybe one of these will help you match!

Great axe!

Welcome to the forum and Have fun!!

Thanks for all the help, but i just have to think this is a special color not listed. I have seen all of the listed colors in many guitars and none have looked close to this guitar, imo.

My luck is i finally find the perfect color i'm looking for and it sounds or plays like crap. : )

There will be some variations on each theme.

My Desertburst can look like a bourbonburst/Vintage burst or a Rootbeer, depending on the angle and lighting,

Good luck. Who knows... maybe you got the one where the boss was out and the paint guy said "wonder what would happen if I mixed THESE colors...."

[biggrin]

Could be Scotchburst or one of the other million "rare" finishes Gibson periodically makes. Why doesn't the store tell you what finish it is? They must know. It'll be on the box.

It's not in a store, It was posted on the Les paul forum and the poster has not responded to questions, hopefully he will.

The owner just posted that the color was labeled Amber Cherry Burst.

2010 R8 voss $ 2899.00

Now how do I find one?

From Gibson :This is not a standard production model and would have to be special ordered.

Our Custom Shop does accept special orders. If you are located in the US, please contact your closest dealer to place your order inquiry. Gibson will then contact the dealer with pricing and manufacturing details (this is generally a long process, please allow 90 days for a response from Gibson).

LOLOLOL allow 90 days for a response from Gibson, That tops the worst customer service ever by about 2 1/2 months.

Who are they kidding.

Well...

Ask yourself these questions:

1. How long does it take to make a custom shop guiitar, from preparing the wood to shipping?

2. How many orders, including industry professionals, do they have coming in daily?

3. How many folks from the rather smallish plant in Nashville do they have dedicated to the task of making customs?

4. What is the backlog after last Spring's flooding?

90 days seems well beyond reasonable to me.

Well...

Ask yourself these questions:

1. How long does it take to make a custom shop guiitar, from preparing the wood to shipping?

2. How many orders, including industry professionals, do they have coming in daily?

3. How many folks from the rather smallish plant in Nashville do they have dedicated to the task of making customs?

4. What is the backlog after last Spring's flooding?

90 days seems well beyond reasonable to me.

For a response?

Maybe 90 days to put guitar in your hands but not just to respond to an order request, that is absurd!

If they are that far behind or under staffed they are loosing orders do to this ridiculous wait time.

Hire more people and make more money.

Geez.

That is just bad business.

No sir.

That is Exclusivity; one of the BEST sales tools used is to tell someone they can't have it.

And yes, they will probably lose your order and those like you, who are expecting immediate gratification .

But Gretchen Wilson will buy 3 in the next 6 months, and Slash will buy 23, and Ace Frehley will buy a half dozen, and Vince Gill will buy a couple, so will Keith Urban, half the sessions players in Nashville and LA.... and most likely at a far higher price point than you are willing to pay.

90 days is fine and acceptable to most folks for a handcrafted instument.

Frankly, you can whine and ***** about GCS all day long... I don't care. I'm just pointing out that, for folks who are a bit more aware of the process, it might seem more petulance than bona fide complaint.

Oh, and if you'll type your comments below the last

it won't appear as though all you did was insert a quote.

:D

I hope you can get over your miffed-ness and get the guitar. It's a beautiful color!

I'm sorry, bad business practice does not mean Exclusivity, that is ridiculous.

Your missing the point, 90 days is fine and acceptable to most folks for a handcrafted instument and it is to me also.

90 days to get a response, price and an estimate to when you will recieve the insturment is bad business.

You do realize that big business usually puts disclaimers like that in all communications just to cover their own backs, right?

All companies have similar policies, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you got a response within the first few weeks.

Many of the things you click "I agree" to on your computer box say loads of crazy things just to prevent clients from having a leverage point on them to go online and say things like "they never contacted me and I called them yesterday" etc.

If you're not satisfied with the response that Gibson gave you, you're in for a hell of a time waiting for your Custom order, but thems the breaks when you want custom.

Good luck to you sir.

You do realize that big business usually puts disclaimers like that in all communications just to cover their own backs, right?

All companies have similar policies, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you got a response within the first few weeks.

Many of the things you click "I agree" to on your computer box say loads of crazy things just to prevent clients from having a leverage point on them to go online and say things like "they never contacted me and I called them yesterday" etc.

If you're not satisfied with the response that Gibson gave you, you're in for a hell of a time waiting for your Custom order, but thems the breaks when you want custom.

Good luck to you sir.

Like I said... folks who are more aware of the process won't think the same.

That's as nicely as I can put it.

Like I said... folks who are more aware of the process won't think the same.

That's as nicely as I can put it.

I'm aware of the process, just not with a company that has such low standards when it comes to business practices.

I have ordered many custom instruments, amps, etc over the years and usually within a day or 2 can get a response and estimate on cost and delivery date.

Lets say this, people may be more aware of Gibsons process and except the sloppy system they have in place.

It is most defiantly not the standard I would have hoped for or expected from such a large company.

Shameful really.

I'm aware of the process, just not with a company that has such low standards when it comes to business practices.

I have ordered many custom instruments, amps, etc over the years and usually within a day or 2 can get a response and estimate on cost and delivery date.

Lets say this, people may be more aware of Gibsons process and except the sloppy system they have in place.

It is most defiantly not the standard I would have hoped for or expected from such a large company.

Shameful really.

I'd rather not say that.

You clearly do NOT get the process, or your commentary would be different.

Let's try it this way. Would you prefer them contact you within 24 hours, and answer all your questions with "I don't know when.... we're not sure at this point... maybe, but we'll have to see"

or would you prefer to wait until they can say "Yes, we can start on that guitar in 3 weeks, but that color combination will not be loaded until October, so you're looking at a 12-14 month lag time between order date and shipping"?

Seems to me Hamburger B is FAR preferrable, but YMMV.

This topic is sad, its make me realize that the world is losing patience. [sad]

It is sad that so many think that piss-poor customer relations need to be "understood".

I'd rather hear "Yes, we can do that, but it will be XX months until it gets done" rather than " we might let you know in three months."

Archived