Gibson Brands Forums

Me favorite rock tune of the moment

Shnate McDuanus

Deep Purple's "Maybe I'm A Leo," from the classic Machine Head.

The song is just so groovy and muscular--that riff is thick and funky as all hell...it's also not hard to play. [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFs2Nn3qKw8

Neat solo in this one, too. This one's live from a 1972 concert. I'll admit, I love every Deep Purple line-up (even the short-lived Mark I), but I'll always be a MK II fan first and foremost. Can't get much better than Gillian, Blackmore, Glover, Lord and Paice.

i tell ya...after mr moore mr blackmore is my fave ever player [thumbup]

Awesome. He's quickly catching up in my lists again.

It's like I have this ladder system...depending on what mood I'm in, my favorite guitarist changes. These "moods" turn into "phases" which last several weeks, months or even years. Not going to lie, Blackmore's been pretty much at the top for at least two weeks now.

Awesome. He's quickly catching up in my lists again.

It's like I have this ladder system...depending on what mood I'm in, my favorite guitarist changes. These "moods" turn into "phases" which last several weeks, months or even years. Not going to lie, Blackmore's been pretty much at the top for at least two weeks now.

keep watching and listening and i'm sure it will last longer than two weeks [thumbup]

And...it's official!

Ritchie Blackmore has replaced Jimmy Page, Rory Gallagher, Alvin Lee, Johnny Winter, Hubert Sumlin, Jimi Hendrix, and everyone else.

Good job on becoming my favorite guitarist, Ritchie Blackmore...

In ways, it's really like he bridged the gap between the blues-rock players and the shredders, because he does some classical-flavored phrases (although in a few interviews I've read and heard from him, he intimated that it was Jon Lord who infused most of the classical-inspired touches into Deep Purple's music, which is a sentiment I can definitely recognize as valid,) but he still has the wild, reckless edge of the garage-rock, blues-rock and psychedelic-rock era. So, you know, he has that real virtuosic touch and he pulls from a pretty wide range of influences, but he's nowhere near as clinical or predictable as some of the neoclassical players (I'm lookin' at you, Yngwie,) who really have great chops, but aren't anywhere near as interesting to listen to. Can't forget that he had a great band to work with, either--Jon Lord in particular, who played a really fantastic organ.

Archived