Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Birthday Dave!

jaxson50

Dave Brubeck turned 90 today. Hard to believe. Thanks for the great music and the chance you gave a 19 year old kid to sit in and play a set with you in 1970. YOU DA MAN!!!!

Happy Birthday indeed. Wow, you got to play with him?! You da man.

I did get to play with Dave. From age 19 to 22 I was attending the Univ. of Utah Music School, majoring in Jazz. I was one of Dr. William Fowler "Jazz Cats" as he called his students, along with Lad Macintosh, both very well connected in the Jazz world the U of U was a unlikely place for one of the top Jazz programs in the nation. It didn't last long.

I was playing drums at the time and just starting to study guitar, and there were only three other drummers in our class, so we got a lot more playing time then others...There were some remarkable artist who came to the U of U. Mondell Lowell, Johnny Smith, Frank Zappa (and his band who included two of Fowlers sons) Tom Scott and Patrick Williams...Dave & Linda LaFlamme, it was awesome...

William Fowler passed away a few years ago, read some of the posts on his Memory Book and you will see how loved he was and how his teaching touched so many;

http://memorialwebsites.legacy.com/billfowler/Subpage.aspx?mod=7

I did get to play with Dave. From age 19 to 22 I was attending the Univ. of Utah Music School, majoring in Jazz. I was one of Dr. William Fowler "Jazz Cats" as he called his students, along with Lad Macintosh, both very well connected in the Jazz world the U of U was a unlikely place for one of the top Jazz programs in the nation. It didn't last long.

I was playing drums at the time and just starting to study guitar, and there were only three other drummers in our class, so we got a lot more playing time then others...There were some remarkable artist who came to the U of U. Mondell Lowell, Johnny Smith, Frank Zappa (and his band who included two of Fowlers sons) Tom Scott and Patrick Williams...Dave & Linda LaFlamme, it was awesome...

William Fowler passed away a few years ago, read some of the posts on his Memory Book and you will see how loved he was and how his teaching touched so many;

http://memorialwebsites.legacy.com/billfowler/Subpage.aspx?mod=7

Fantastic stuff. I am continuously amazed at the collective experience of the members of this board. 6 degrees of separation.

Archived