Gibson Brands Forums

Overdrive and ES 335

trotro

Hi everybody,

I was thinking about adding to my pedalboard a new overdrive.

I just began to play guitar 1 year ago at the age of 46, still a lot to improve but really having fun.

I play a Gibson ES-335 through a Fender Blues Junior.

I love playing blues, I am a fan of Allman Brothers and Robben Ford, old Clapton, and sometime I also play Hendrix and Gilmour solos (but for that I use the fuzz).

I was thinking about the Zendrive or the Fulltone OCD.

You guys any good idea suggestions?

Hi

Lots of ways of exploring o/d with the lovely 335

Natural gain from the amp

Compressor at all levels of gain

EQ boost can add o/d too

Marshall pedals like the Guv'nor and Bluesbreaker are good

EHX Muff gives a gritty o/d...the US one has good adjustments

V

:-({|=

I use a Tube Screamer with my Jr and my ES-339 and can get lots of different results through the adjustments on pedal and the amp.

Good that you finally picked up that guitar. I am 57 and been playing since I was 12. I just started taking lessons Labor Day week this year. You are never too old to learn and with guitar it is important to play with those who know more than you so that you can move forward to another level.

Have fun and keep playing, try the Tube Screamer on your Jr and see what you think.

Well, if you perform live, that blues junior will break up enough that you won't need an overdrive...

I once owned a ZenDrive... Nice pedal... but a bit overrated... I now own a Bad Monkey which is IMHO just as good as the ZenDrive.... The Bad Monkey is about $30-$40

The tube screamer is a another excellent overdrive... A pedal I really don't like is the Boss Blues Driver...

If it were up to me, I would go with either the Tube Screamer or the Bad Monkey...

I've heard that the Fulltone OCD works better with Single coil PUP's. Personally I prefer the natural tube overdrive tone compared to any OD pedal. That's what all these pedals are trying to imitate anyway. Of coarse if you have a 100W amp then you can't crank it in the house. That's why they make small amps, they OD at lower volumes.

I've got a Blues Jr., and I get all the OD I want by just turning up the VOLUME and turning down the MASTER volume. I've also got an Ibanez TS808, but I just don't use it with the Blues Jr.

I guess if you want more OD, any of the above mentioned pedals are probably OK. I like my TS808 (with my non-master volume amp), and a lot of the Forum members really seem to like the Fulltone OCD.

I'm not a great one for effects but when the mood takes me, I use an AnalogMan-modified Tube Screamer through a Digitech DigiDelay on the Tape Reverb setting. The addition of the delay pedal adds a whole new dimension to the overall sound and takes you into serious Jimmy Page country - and at low volume levels if you require.

RN

Hi everybody,

I was thinking about adding to my pedalboard a new overdrive.

I just began to play guitar 1 year ago at the age of 46, still a lot to improve but really having fun.

I play a Gibson ES-335 through a Fender Blues Junior.

I love playing blues, I am a fan of Allman Brothers and Robben Ford, old Clapton, and sometime I also play Hendrix and Gilmour solos (but for that I use the fuzz).

I was thinking about the Zendrive or the Fulltone OCD.

You guys any good idea suggestions?

Great minds think alike!

I started at 47 years. I now play an ES- 355 and love the blues. Good for you!

Archived