Gibson Brands Forums

warm sounding strings?

tartanbeastie

I like to try new strings and usually go back to the old favorites, Martins on my acoustics and ernie balls on the electrics, (currently got D'addario on the SG, fender bullets on the telecsater)

before i go buy more strings to try out, I'm thinking of going more mellow and warm as opposed to the bright sound i have just now. Can anyone advise or suggest some nice warm sounding strings to put on my electrics?

just ordered a pack of chromes, i'll try them on the tele first. Has anyone tried the S.I.T strings? i dont believe the hype about them staying in tune but whats the quality of them? oh yeah I also spotted the neon strings while looking at other strings.. their pretty manky, i wouldnt put them on any of my guitars

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BentonC

Try Pure Nickle strings. I use GHS Strings because they are Roundwound like they were back in the old days. Unlike Hex core wound.

+1 on the pure nickel. Most today are nickel plated steel, but the pure nickel won't be as bright. Great for a slightly "darker" tone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i searched for ages to find something without the bright metallic twang of so many strings - gibson / daddario / ernie ball slinkys etc etc (some people like this metallic twang, and consider a string dead when it stops doing the metallic twang).

i found that dr blues are the best, closely followed by dean markley blue steels. the blue steels take a little bit longer to bed in (a week, compared to a couple of days) but they last a lot longer. imo the dr blues sounded the best but wear faster with bending.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Archived