Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Dot - Starting to buzz on the first few frets

MediaMan

Almost all the buzz was removed with a little LOOSENING of the truss rod. I was left with only buzz on frets 1 and 2 on the two high strings. Didnt think raising the bridge would address that ... so I put some graphite shavings in the nut and it worked like a charm. Not sure if this is a temporary fix (as in hours) , but I guess time will tell!

Great news, good to hear MediaMan. Even a permanent fix will only cost you a new nut, so it won't cost much even if you do go that way in future.

Almost all the buzz was removed with a little LOOSENING of the truss rod. I was left with only buzz on frets 1 and 2 on the two high strings. Didnt think raising the bridge would address that ... so I put some graphite shavings in the nut and it worked like a charm. Not sure if this is a temporary fix (as in hours) , but I guess time will tell!

I love it when a plan comes together! BTW, didja check the nut height?

I love it when a plan comes together! BTW, didja check the nut height?

How does one adjust nut height???

Clearly it's not a simple set of screws like bridge height, but I gather from your question that adjusting nut height is doable???

How does one adjust nut height???

Clearly it's not a simple set of screws like bridge height, but I gather from your question that adjusting nut height is doable???

I mentioned how to check it earlier in the thread. If slots or overall height is too high, either the individual slots have to be filed, or the entire nut removed and sanded on the bottom. If the nut it too low, it's probably best to have it replaced, sanding a new one for proper fit. If there is a nut problem, most of us replace the stock plastic nut with Tusq (a brand name from GraphTech) or bone. In any case, I would consider it an advanced DIY job, or something to have a pro do. Cost varies.

Archived