Gibson Brands Forums

Buying strings online

heymisterk

Happy Holidays All,

Just curious: Where is the cheapest place to buy strings online? I used to buy from Elderly Instruments out of loyalty, but they are pretty expensive. Same with the local independent guitar store, which does my set-ups. I avoid Guitar Center at all costs.

So...looking for cheapest place to buy strings online. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeff

Sorry to hear your local Mom & Pop Shop won't sell to you at a reasonable price, may be you should explain your position (of trying to support their business), and "negotiate".

I have a 2-for-1 arrangement with my local Mom & Pop Shop on strings, and my jazzbox strings are special order. Whatever the MSRP is, I get two sets. It seems like a fair agreement to me, and also tells me what kind of mark-up there is on strings. He needs to be making some profit, and I expect him to, but he is also performing a service to me for which I am willing to pay for.

Talk to your local independent and see if you can cut a deal.

Happy Holidays All,

Just curious: Where is the cheapest place to buy strings online? I used to buy from Elderly Instruments out of loyalty, but they are pretty expensive. Same with the local independent guitar store, which does my set-ups. I avoid Guitar Center at all costs.

So...looking for cheapest place to buy strings online. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeff

What's your favorite flavor? I see Elderly has Gibson Vintage Reissues for $18.45/3 while Musicians Friend is about a $.50 cheaper. Worth the half dollar to support mom & pop if you ask me.

I mail order. It's been MF largely because it's easy to get on the site and the price seems pretty decent.

Even assuming equivalent prices, the drive to anywhere in my area with strings would more than double the price of a couple sets of even high end strings - and I prefer Elixirs. Problem is that even MSRP isn't necessarily the local price, but more...

Normally I'm a "buy locally" nut even if the price tag is up a bit. Not strings.

m

I mail order. It's been MF largely because it's easy to get on the site and the price seems pretty decent.

Even assuming equivalent prices, the drive to anywhere in my area with strings would more than double the price of a couple sets of even high end strings - and I prefer Elixirs. Problem is that even MSRP isn't necessarily the local price, but more...

Normally I'm a "buy locally" nut even if the price tag is up a bit. Not strings.

m

I try to buy locally also, within reason. I don't mind spending a little more at a mom and pop but locally I have two options, a mom and pop who charges a little more than MSRP on strings and GC, the mom and pop wanted $38 for a set of Gibson Vintage Reissue strings. They also charge about twice as much on a Marshall 1960A cab as GC.

Last time I was there I told the owner who I've done business with forever when he gets his prices inline give me a call.

Sorry to hear your local Mom & Pop Shop won't sell to you at a reasonable price, may be you should explain your position (of trying to support their business), and "negotiate".

I have a 2-for-1 arrangement with my local Mom & Pop Shop on strings, and my jazzbox strings are special order. Whatever the MSRP is, I get two sets. It seems like a fair agreement to me, and also tells me what kind of mark-up there is on strings. He needs to be making some profit, and I expect him to, but he is also performing a service to me for which I am willing to pay for.

Talk to your local independent and see if you can cut a deal.

This is great advice although I've not tried it. I think it's a great idea and I think I will give it a try. If they won't deal then its back to juststrings.com

It's been a while since I bought any strings as I tend to buy multiple sets so they last a while. I'm not sure what their prices are like now.

Archived