Gibson Brands Forums

SG Express Pics

cjlandry

With the new strings, and a little "break-in" (meaning, "me getting used to the little guitar"), I'm beginning to like it.

Granted, I never expected "perfection" out of this guitar, and I'm not getting perfection. Of course my G-400, Dot, and Les Paul Ultra sound much better, but they're not short-scale travel guitars.

I've been jammin' on it with my little Vox Amplug headphone amps, my "Little Smokey", and even my EVJ, AC4TVH, Vibro Champ XD, and G-DEC amps. It handles most amp models OK, but really shines when overdriven and/or distorted a bit. Much like my G-400, for that matter.

In my previous, much more critical thread, no one gave me the "Pics or it doesn't exist" bit, but I figured it deserved a little photo shoot, even though I suck at photography. So, here are the pics.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

So, if you're looking for a compact, lightweight practice guitar for travel, I think this one is a winner.

I have a Traveler Speedster, which is a full-scale guitar with a Strat single-coil sized humbucker, and it works fine. But this one really gives more diversity of sounds.

I think it's gonna become my new travel companion, and the Speedster will spend more time at home.

Now that's just cool, congrats CJ!

Amazing that it has good tuners on it, why don't they do that for the full-size Juniors?

Apparently, the short scale requires better tuners to even "make the cut". They actually hold tune well, and I didn't have binding in the nut, either.

The ferrules will come out of the back of the body when restringing, but that's not something you won't notice right away. Might be a problem if you break a string while playing, but the string will tend to stay in the ferrule.

In my previous, much more critical thread, no one gave me the "Pics or it doesn't exist" bit,

Didn't ask because in that thread it seemed probable that you'd return it.

The ferrules will come out of the back of the body when restringing, but that's not something you won't notice right away. Might be a problem if you break a string while playing, but the string will tend to stay in the ferrule.

Just add a spot of Elmers to them on the next string change, that should hold them in.

Great looking little guitar cj, love the gold and brown vibe, great to hear you're warming to it, I guess it's now time to say HNGD.

Didn't ask because in that thread it seemed probable that you'd return it.

Just add a spot of Elmers to them on the next string change, that should hold them in.

Great looking little guitar cj, love the gold and brown vibe, great to hear you're warming to it, I guess it's now time to say HNGD.

Terrible pics. The "gold and brown" is from poor lighting, and worse photography. It's black and chrome.

Terrible pics. The "gold and brown" is from poor lighting, and worse photography. It's black and chrome.

LOL, really, well it must be a combination of lighting, photographic prowess and my feeble eyesight, shame really, there used to be a good song called "Gold and Brown".

Archived