Gibson Brands Forums

The Uber Champ

Californiaman

Surfpup:

I want to build an Uber-Champ.

Where do I start?

I like the idea of changing the tubes around like you did.

The KT66 sound great.

Well, I didn't build it. A buddy of mine did. I just built the cabinet and did the tolex, handles, knobs, etc.

And made

. I keep telling him to build more and we can go into business, but you know how

these techy, engineer types are... head in the clouds... too much solder fumes I think! [biggrin]

That said, here's what he's told me...

It's basically a hot-rodded Fender Champ circuit. He uses an oversize output transformer so that

it can handle the variety of power tubes available to the octal tube socket: 6L6, EL84, KT66, etc.

The reason it sounds so transparent - even while the gain is cranked is because of the simplicity

of the circuit. It only has a few wires and a little tag board - no signal degradation. We did have

to play around with a couple different rectifier tubes to get the right one, but know it's working

great.

I love the sound of the KT66 too. Kind of a good mix or the British and American tones I hear

in my head. It rips a little more with the EL34 in it. I have not tried a 6L6. Not usually my

cup of tea.

I could probably convince him to build you one, CaliMan.

I've got a '71 Champ my Dad found in a Church dumpster. He knew if it said "Fender" and had tubes I'd want it. Turned out the power light bulb was bad, the amp actually worked but sounded like crap. I hadn't been banned from the FDP yet and sent it to Naked Clarke in New Jersey and he brought it back to specs and put a Weber in it.

It was one of the last things my Dad gave me before he died and is a very cool amp.

I've got a '71 Champ my Dad found in a Church dumpster. He knew if it said "Fender" and had tubes I'd want it. Turned out the power light bulb was bad, the amp actually worked but sounded like crap. I hadn't been banned from the FDP yet and sent it to Naked Clarke in New Jersey and he brought it back to specs and put a Weber in it.

It was one of the last things my Dad gave me before he died and is a very cool amp.

Very cool man! Sorry to hear about your father. Gotta love dumpster finds. Here's mine:

Late 30's Kalamazoo in the original case.... Amazing what people throw away.

92533325.jpg

Andy

Archived