Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339 Oooops !

Sproggie

Somehow my ES-339 fell off it's stand. [scared] Luckily no damage whatsoever apart from a bent tuning peg where the plastic winder fits on. It still works ok and I don't want to take it off to straighten it in case it breaks and then I can't play until I get a replacement. Does anyone know the exact Gibson part number or description for this? I'd like to replace it with the genuine article to make sure the colour matches the rest of the tuners. Alternatively, is there a better set of tuners that I could upgrade to? They'd have to use the existing screw mounting holes.

Chris

Thanks for the info. I'll take it off and try to straighten it next time I change my strings. It's scarey that this happened so easy and you seem to see so many Gibs with headstock breaks.

Mine fell off the bottom of the guitar stand , but it still was in the guitar stand. One reason I never bought a 335 was I thought it was a target for getting damaged. The 335 always reminded me of a piece of furniture. I`m so glad they came out with the 339. I use to say if I could just have one guitar it would be my Telecaster , but now I`m not so sure. K

I bought a used 339 a few months back. I go to that guitar first every time.

I have to make an effort to play some of my others but I am getting it done by keeping a different guitar at my office and taking lessons on something other than the 339. In my opinion if I could only have one guitar, the 339 would be my pick of what I have played.

I witnessed a 335 tip over onstage once and suffer a cracked headstock as a result. Just terrible.

That exact thing happened to the Cherry Gibson ES-335 Dot I used to have. Thank God (literally) the band I was playing in at the time insured the

guitar and I was able to have it repaired. Couldn't even tell it had been cracked. Played better than new.

• 2 weeks later...

My "g" string tuner is still bent from falling on the floor some 43 years ago...someday, I'll straighten it out.

Let us know if you can bend it back without any problem.

I changed strings today so I took off the machine head and straightened it. I put it in a small vice with smooth jaws and leaned on the tuning peg with the palm of my hand and it straightened with no problem. It still works well and feels the same as the rest of the machine heads. ( Now got a dent in the palm of my hand though [crying] ).

I changed strings today so I took off the machine head and straightened it. I put it in a small vice with smooth jaws and leaned on the tuning peg with the palm of my hand and it straightened with no problem. It still works well and feels the same as the rest of the machine heads. ( Now got a dent in the palm of my hand though [crying] ).

I'd rather have a dent in my hand than in my guitar [biggrin]

Archived