Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Genesis Project

jadedbat

Hi Gang :) New member here. I'd like to say hello all and tell ya bout my new project. I was oddly drawn to this body on ebay and it arrives in a couple days. The more I read up on this guitar the more I'm happy I picked it up. It will take a bunch of work but I think will be worth it. I have never played one of these but really look forward to it. It is what i believe to be an Epiphone Genesis - Standard.

All I will have is the body and for now I am on the hunt for correct parts if any of you have any I'd buy some :) For now I will plug the holes with modern parts. I do have a couple questions if I may :)

1. What kind of Tuno-O-Matic does the body take? I know there are a couple different sizes out there.. A2, B2 and what not. I have a couple I'll try but would love to know.

2. Are there any other parts from similar era epiphones that will work.. eg. pickup cavity cover, knobs,..etc.

3. Wiring. Any good links for the standard wiring w/the tap diagrams?

I'm am by no means a luthier so any help would be loved. It is covered in what looks like silver sharpie autographs which I will try to lift.. any ideas. Was gonna try nail polish remover / 2k grit sand paper ?? I'll evaluate the finish to see if it can be saved or if I should refinish it.

Anyways for you other Genesis/Epi lovers,.. you now have another on board. Wish me luck!

!B8Whz8gEGk~$%28KGrHqR,!lkEy+jCyLTeBM2%29wyh01w~~_12.JPG

!B8Whwlg!mk~$(KGrHqR,!hYEyrqO0nusBM2)wph2iQ~~_12.JPG

- Joe

Firstly jb, Welcome to the forum.

A very nice bunch of folk hang out here (Caution: May contain nuts)

One particular guy is our Genesis expert in residence. Just wait until brianh sees your thread. I am sure he will be all over your questions like a rash.

Others, like animalfarm & myself, went down different paths (mine being the acquisition of 'Baby') 'cause we couldn't jag a Gene... so there is much appreciation for that little geet here, & I look forward to seeing your project progress... Keep us posted regularly please

Cheers,

Hi jade, I saw that body, but didn't bid on it. Congrats on the win. I have 5 Genis - 2 Standards, a Deluxe and 2 Customs. Let me know what I can do to help.

Hi Gang thanks for the warm welcome :) When I get the body I'll post pix and pix along the way.

Brian, that is funny you saw that on Ebay as well. I couldn't resist. I waited for the auction to die twice and then approached the seller afterwards and talked him down a bit. Nice guy btw.

Items I would need help with would be parts direction. I dug up a link from another post on wiring you guys supplied another cat that will work great. I've got guts from a 96 Epi SG (just filled it with Gibson electronics.. holy shmolly what a difference good elecronics will make) that I plan to put in it to start. So really what I need direction on is the bridge/tailpiece, tuners, truss cover, back plate and any inside info you have learned in your efforts with the Genesis :)

Has anyone built one from the ground up?

Totally excited. Thanks again gang!

It should accept your metric LP parts, except if you want wire it per factory, it will be V/V/T + coil split. You might consider moving the jack to the side, that area is weak and commonly fails. But drilling a new jack hole is not for the faint of heart - you need a drill press and extremely sharp bits to do it without incident.

Let me know if you need any photos or measurements, I have good examples.

I can read a few of the signatures on that body. Dweezil Zappa for one.

Sure you want to get rid of them?

I'm not a fan, but some are.

:) tnx guys. Ya the sigs are going.. not a fan of any of them.. bigger fan of restoring this thing than any of the folks that have signed it.

The back control plate is what I'm stuck on now.. might have to craft my own.. unless another Epi plate will work.. parts are really scarce online. I think I have enough parts and a couple on order to get this thing barking soon. :) While not they might not be 'correct' to start out with it's a start and I'll dump in real parts as they pop up.

I think I am gonna wire v/v/t/t and kill the tap.. moving input to there. Will be a bit tight but should work...I've got small bell type SG nobs which will be handy... and not really a fan of taps.. i'll grab my twang from my Fenders.. hehe.

It should accept your metric LP parts, except if you want wire it per factory, it will be V/V/T + coil split. You might consider moving the jack to the side, that area is weak and commonly fails. But drilling a new jack hole is not for the faint of heart - you need a drill press and extremely sharp bits to do it without incident.

Let me know if you need any photos or measurements, I have good examples.

oh ya.. tnx for the info :)

Welcome to the Forum! And dog-gonnit, what a lucky score. I have NO

IDEA how it went under the radar for me. Maybe the strange listing "title":

"ALL STAR SIGNED EPIPHONE ELECTRIC GUITAR BODY"

No mention of GENESIS at all.

I CAN ID some of the Sigs just by looking, but some of the others,

tough, even with a reference list:

Dave Mustaine

Dweezel Zappa

Chris O'Donell

Wayne Rogers

Tony LoBianco

Elke Sommers

Ricky Sanders

Lyle Waggoner

Robert Logia

Paul Westphal

Neil Lomax

"SUPER" Dave Osbourne

Someday a Genesis shall be MINE....... [crying][crying][crying]

Welcome to the Forum! And dog-gonnit, what a lucky score. I have NO

IDEA how it went under the radar for me. Maybe the strange listing "title":

Someday a Genesis shall be MINE....... [crying][crying][crying]

Ha!.. It was an odd auction title for sure. It was more about the autographs for this seller. I'm trying to figure out what function would have Dave Mustaine and Dweezel Zappa along with "Super Dave" Osborne all together. That really makes me wonder. I asked the seller but he never answered that question. Such an odd mix of actors as well. With the ink all looking the same I am guessing an awards function and maybe an 11 pound piece of paper :) I'll ask again.

I've got my ear to the ground big time for Geni parts and such so I'll notify the board the minute I see one online for a good price. There is one on Ebay right now but it looks inflated price wise. Link

That one is very fishy.

The Genesis never came with three pickups, and all of the pickups on it are not original. You can tell because Geni pickups have two height adjust screws on one side, and one on the other, which allows for "tilt" along with height adjust. Plus the surrounds were always black, those are cream colored. So it's at least been routed out for the 3rd pickup, not to mention whatever rewiring was done. And the original pickups are gone, which is half the sound of the thing. I'd say stay away.

In any case, good examples of the Deluxe models go for around $400 in the US, and that's in relatively unmolested condition.

It's not mine - it was on eBay & Craigslist for a while in '09, belonged to a guy in Ohio I think. Exchanged a few texts with him, he moved the output jack to the side and switch into the jack hole, and if I remember correctly those are Gibson pickups. Also had the pickguard custom made. Said he just wanted something different for stage shows. He was asking $700 which was not unreasonable at all considering. I probably should have bought it, but didn't want to expend the funds at that time. Here's a few more shots:

BPLUhe2kKGrHgoH-CcEjlLlzSkuBJyUUenK.jpg

1552_3.jpg

BPLUZmw2kKGrHgoH-EUEjlLluHEBJyUUIRCg_3.jpg

It's not mine - it was on eBay & Craigslist for a while in '09, belonged to a guy in Ohio I think. Exchanged a few texts with him, he moved the output jack to the side and switch into the jack hole, and if I remember correctly those are Gibson pickups. Also had the pickguard custom made. Said he just wanted something different for stage shows. He was asking $700 which was not unreasonable at all considering. I probably should have bought it, but didn't want to expend the funds at that time. Here's a few more shots:

Wow these things are very easy to look at :)

The Genesis just showed up. Pix tonight after work and inspection. I did a quick test on removing one of the autographs and it worked out great.. a dry erase pen over top of the auto and wipe.. walla.. it worked great.

Upon quick inspection the biggest issue would be a little separation of fretboard from neck at the 1st and some finish issues but that is it. Neck is great, input is fine as well. I'll check in laters. :)

Upon quick inspection the biggest issue would be a little separation of fretboard from neck at the 1st and some finish issues but that is it. Neck is great, input is fine as well. I'll check in laters. :)

Check the cutaways carefully for lengthwise cracks near the neck.

It's a common issue, although not the end of the world...

Yeps looks like a stress crack in the cutaway and some normal dings.. the neck feels hella solid tho. While it is kinda begging for a refin I will clean it up for now and get it rocking. Will refin in spring (garage is not heated.. brrrr!) Gonna address fretboard and finish bandaids and check in after that :) Take a peek and let me know if you guys have any thoughts.

5350407881_8346b65ed3.jpg

5351021110_349bc303b4.jpg

5351020986_c0c2af5a64.jpg

5351020558_361d9ed1a8.jpg

5350407673_ac73f79dc6.jpg

5351021044_92e65b5110.jpg

5350407471_d36f98a298.jpg

5350407335_211cb75386.jpg

5350407581_404a207206.jpg

Archived