Gibson Brands Forums

Need advice for a new pick up.

Simonphilipps

Ok ok, my will to emulate precisely Page's sound is impossible I know, in studio he also used telecaster so....It was just to make you understand what kind of sound I'm looking for, something near to his, a middle way between whole lotta love and since I've been loving you, something close to black dog and not to different from the ocean, (maybe live versions I'd say)...Can you understand? It's getting difficult for me to explain.

So the basis of my question is: Is there a pick up you suggest me to get closer to his sound or would the PAF without cover almost do the job? I like my standard's sound, but if there's something better I can do I'd do it...That's all folks!

P.s. I play my guitars through a jcm800, no pedals, just a wah sometimes.

I still recommend removing the cover of the pickup that is already in your guitar. It's a Gibson PAF-style humbucker pickup that is probably as close to what is in Page's as anything else. It's really difficult to say exactly what his pickups sound like given the vast range of tones he uses.

The hendrix photo is of a late 50's LP custom. he played it during middle 68 period. there are photos of him playing it the fillmore east and at the Hallenstadium in Zurich both during May of 68.

He was also playing a new 68 SG alot during that period after he gave his famous early flying V away.

he also used les pauls in the studio on a fair number of tracks

it's really hard to nail page down, black dog was direct into the board with the input overdriven and layered 2 or 3 times. Page felt the guitar on that track sounds like a synthesizer. wasn't his live sound pretty much stock Pafs thru cranked marshalls? you have the right pickups already! but I know what you mean you want something a little hotter... mabey some Duncans?

The hendrix photo is of a late 50's LP custom. he played it during middle 68 period. there are photos of him playing it the fillmore east and at the Hallenstadium in Zurich both during May of 68.

He was also playing a new 68 SG alot during that period after he gave his famous early flying V away.

he also used les pauls in the studio on a fair number of tracks

it's really hard to nail page down' date=' black dog was direct into the board with the input overdriven and layered 2 or 3 times. Page felt the guitar on that track sounds like a synthesizer. wasn't his live sound pretty much stock Pafs thru cranked marshalls? you have the right pickups already! but I know what you mean you want something a little hotter... mabey some Duncans?[/quote']

Wow I didn't know of Hendrix with Les Pauls, I'll check it out!

Anyway I made my decision, I'll simply take the cover off next time I change strings and see how it goes.

I saw Duncan prices and the screaming demon here in Italy is about 200 bucks or more...Maybe too much for me now, I need money for a telecaster!

Is the 57 humbucker black under the cover? Thank you for your time...very kind of you.

Ciao.

I just went thru the same thing. I got a new LP Standard and wanted a hotter pickup that the burstbucker(which I have in my other Standard anyway). I went for the Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion Mayhem set. It roars on high gain but cleans up very nicely too. It also has the look I want for the stripped down LP(see avatar).

I'm thinking of buying a cover for the neck pup since I like the look of both pups being different, plus the JP thing. What do you guys think? Does anyone know if a regular Gibson brand pup cover will fit on the SD? I believe the pole spacing should be the same. Also, I read somewhere the Page signature has a 500T in the bridge.

Hi guys! I did it! Pulled of the cover:

Like it?

I'll put a Seymour when I got the bucks!

You'll want to be pretty choosey about which pickup you put in there if you decide to do that. Duncan has a tool on their website that will recommend you a pickup based on the guitar you have and the style of music you play.

I replaced the bridge pickup of my LP Studio with a Duncan years ago (also after pulling off the pickup cover - funny, no?), and I found that I preferred the sound of the stock pickup. Years later, I've realized that the pickup I used (a Duncan Custom Custom) was designed to be used in a brighter-sounding guitar, not a Les Paul.

That said, the Tone Wizard tool will not recommend some of the pickups no matter what kind of guitar you tell it you have, so you may want to spend a lot of time reading the descriptions and seeing what kinds of guitars a particular pickup is recommended for. There's also a guide on the Duncan site about how to pick a pickup.

I'm not trying to say don't get a custom pickup, because I've experienced what a huge difference a pickup can make - just take plenty of time to explore all your options.

And Wolff - you shouldn't just slap a pickup cover on an uncovered pickup; normally, the pickup/cover combination is potted with wax to reduce microphonics. If you've got to have a covered pickup, you might want to just buy a new one. That said, I prefer mine uncovered because a lot of covered pickups will squeal when used with heavy distortion (this led me to take off my pickup cover in the first place, which fixed the problem).

I just went thru the same thing. I got a new LP Standard and wanted a hotter pickup that the burstbucker(which I have in my other Standard anyway). I went for the Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion Mayhem set. It roars on high gain but cleans up very nicely too. It also has the look I want for the stripped down LP(see avatar).

I'm thinking of buying a cover for the neck pup since I like the look of both pups being different' date=' plus the JP thing. What do you guys think? Does anyone know if a regular Gibson brand pup cover will fit on the SD? I believe the pole spacing should be the same. Also, I read somewhere the Page signature has a 500T in the bridge. [/quote']

That's a '57 classic...You know guys it changed a lot! The sound is very much brighter and seems like the volume turned down!! (?) That's strange isn't it?

Anyway if somebody confirms that Page's bridge PU is a 500T, I'll get it!

You think it can work out fine with the other '57? Or is it better combined with something else?

The source I had for the 500T in the Page axe is from '50 Years of the Gibson Les Paul' where it says the Page guitar "has the same pickup as the Les Paul Classic in the bridge position".

Yeah, I know about the wax potting. My shop did that for me when I had a neck pup cover put on a LP Classic I had so it would look like the Page style. LOL.

Thanks for the advice and from what you say about the high gain, I think I'll leave them uncovered plus it contributes to the 'metal' look of my axe.

I saw Duncan prices and the screaming demon here in Italy is about 200 bucks or more...

Damn that's expensive, they're a bit pricey here too, usually about $95. I tried one out in my BFG, but I decided to keep the Burstbucker 3 in it. It sounded pretty good, but I felt the BB3 just belonged in there. If international shipping wasn't such a pain and so expensive, I have one on eBay.

I used to play SG's almost exclusively in the 60's & 70's' date=' and I had about 40 or 50 of them. I would always remove the pup cover 'cause I liked the look, but it never seemed to make ANY difference in sound.[/quote']

That's strange, it really did change on mine! I think I ruined it. Some of the wax they are talking about melted off and reduced the output power. Can that be?

Go Rich Go

Why does it seem everybody buys a guitar and they start wanting to change pup's and or tuners right off the bat. If you don't like whats in there' date=' why the fxck did you buy it?[/quote']

Hey don't blow smoke up my @$$ I'm not the one that said they wanted to pull the stock pup out the guy that started this thread did. So talk to him and yank a new @$$#0l3 in him and not me. G*^%@$n it.

Archived