Gibson Brands Forums

80s music was so much more melodic..

saturn

Everybody's got opinions - they're all valid. But mine is right. I "came of age" musically between 1975-1985. But I would have to say that IN MY OPINION (which, again, is right...) the best music was made within about five years of either side of 1970. [thumbup]

~DB

I "came of age" musically about a decade before you, and couldn't agree more; stuff from '65 to '75 gets my vote. The Beatles best stuff, most of the Stones best stuff, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Janis and Big Brother, QMS, Paul Butterfield, Hendrix, Dylan, Electric Flag...this is all the stuff (plus the '50s Chicago blues guys) that I listen to 90% of the time.

Oh, Jeez, I forgot the Yardbirds, Cream, The Bluesbreakers.

Everyone knows that my Original Post was kinda sarcastic, right? :-k I mean that Suicidal Tendencies song has no melody whatsoever. I just wanted to show the younger dudes that loud, noisy, angry rock music has been around for many years.

I never listened much to that stuff in the day, but I knew a group of kids that did. They called it "hard core". Black Flag, Dead Kennedy's, Agent Orange, Butthole Surfers etc.. I went to a "club" one time with them in about 1984. It was just an old abandoned wharehouse somewhere in the slums of Baltimore that someone managed to convert into a hard core venue. I don't even think it was officially licensed or whatever you call it. It was BYOB and hardly anyone was of legal age. It was the most filthy, obnoxious place I've ever seen. I think the floor was just beer and blood soaked dirt. Punks would slam dance while wearing those spiked wrist bands. The 'music" was just that noisy *** hard core stuff. Kids had bloody noses, lips and black eyes etc. and thought it was great! Once the authorities caught on, it was quickly cosed down :(

It's hard not to love the music that was rocking your speakers when you first caught the fever. I admit, I am more fan than critic, so I can't say which music is better. It's all great and awful, depending on who you ask. As for me, I love the 80's music. When I hear it, I'm young again.

Here's something tp ponder...

The great songs of the 60-70's are still played.. A lot even..

Now, the music of the 80-00, WHERE have they gone??

I mean that as a majority.. They last 1-3, maybe 4 years, NEVER to be heard of again!!!! smiley-bounce019.gif

Ya heard it here...

Still there, you just have to change your radio station in order to hear them.

Archived