Gibson Brands Forums

80s music was so much more melodic..

saturn

I agree! After the grunge movement in the 1990's, it seems 3 chord rock or the drop tuned stuff is all people can do. There was just something in the water back then I think......in the 1980's, EVERY band had a guitarist that could rip it up! I like alternative and grunge too, don't get me wrong......but music does seem dumbed-down today in the sense of melodies. Never fear though, the breath of inspiration and creativity will return to man again.......sometime.........soon I hope!

I agree! After the grunge movement in the 1990's, it seems 3 chord rock or the drop tuned stuff is all people can do. There was just something in the water back then I think......in the 1980's, EVERY band had a guitarist that could rip it up! I like alternative and grunge too, don't get me wrong......but music does seem dumbed-down today in the sense of melodies. Never fear though, the breath of inspiration and creativity will return to man again.......sometime.........soon I hope!

There's plenty of melody and substance out there today. If you can't find it you're not looking hard enough.

Top 40 stuff aside, this century has seen some damn fine music made and released, a lot of which I'd put up against any other decade.

Everybody's got opinions - they're all valid. But mine is right. I "came of age" musically between 1975-1985. But I would have to say that IN MY OPINION (which, again, is right...) the best music was made within about five years of either side of 1970. [thumbup]

~DB

... the best music was made within about five years of either side of 1970. [thumbup]

My favorite decade too. [biggrin] In fact the majority of my favorite records seem to have been

made between '68 and '74. I still find good music in all years though.

I dug the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's era.... And I do like some of the newer stuff.... But the rock scene is so dead from a club stand-point... It appears most bands these days are posturing themselves over the internet, rather than playing live [thumbdn] ... But I do understand the reasoning.

Archived