Gibson Brands Forums

BITMO Trio Question

cleveland

Looking to MOD the EVJ v3 with the Bitmo trio, however, before I do it, I want to be sure I can switch back to the factory tone with the Trio installed? Is one of the settings with switches give me the option of the original tone? Have a great tone going with my effect pedals and current non mod EVJ, but would like a bit more clean headroom.

Any advice would help. Thanks!

From a quick peek at their web-site, I cannot say for sure. My experience with switchable mods is that it usually retains the stock circuit, as well as adding the mod(s). Not a guarantee....I am sure a quick email to that company will get you the info you want.

Good Luck

Looking to MOD the EVJ v3 with the Bitmo trio, however, before I do it, I want to be sure I can switch back to the factory tone with the Trio installed? Is one of the settings with switches give me the option of the original tone? Have a great tone going with my effect pedals and current non mod EVJ, but would like a bit more clean headroom.

Any advice would help. Thanks!

Clean(er) headroom is so easy with the VJr.

A 2 valve change --- no soldering required. Swap your preamp valve for a Tung Sol gold pin 12AX7ECC803S or go even cleaner with a 12AT7. Try a JJ EL84 in the power valve socket. Other brands can work also but these have proven clean results with several EPI forum VJr users.

Want to clean it up even more? -- plug in a Danelectro EQ peddle (incredibly cheap $25). Still want more? -- do the C4 mod -- no cost, just cut the C4 capacitor connection to the board. You can always just solder it back if it's too clean :blink:

The Bit Mo mod seems like such a crude hack to fix a simple headroom issue (if that's your only concern).

Luck to you DiveBand (I empathize completely with your screenname) and WELCOME.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on B)

You cannot get more head room from a tube change. If you need more of that, you need to use a more efficient speaker. Changing to a lower gain tube will just change the sweep of the volume pot. It might go off on number 7, instead of number 4, but the volume will be the same....

Good Luck

You cannot get more head room from a tube change. If you need more of that, you need to use a more efficient speaker. Changing to a lower gain tube will just change the sweep of the volume pot. It might go off on number 7, instead of number 4, but the volume will be the same....

Good Luck

Dang, I wish I understood basic electronics more....heh.....So Fuse, what you're saying is that the gain increases at a later point - so if I understand this (and I don't think I do) with a lower gain tube, the volume at level X will be lower than the volume at the same level X with the higher gain tube. And, so, with volume maxed out, the lower gain tube will be lower in volume than the higher gain tube maxed out? I've been contemplating playing with some different tubes, but have been too lazy....not to mention, I'm a hobbyist and don't need tremendous volume of any sort anyway. Some day one day, I'll pick me up a soldering iron, do my research, figure out what does what, and have some fun. I've been lurking in amp mod/build threads/forums for a while, just don't have the time or complete knowledge to commit to it....yet.

The max clean volume will be the same.

A 12AX7 may start to break-up at 3 on the knob, where a 5751 may start to break-up at 5 on the knob. But the respective volume will be the same for each tube (in this case at 3 and at 5). By numbers, it will look like the 5751 gives you "more clean head room", but it is really just a numbers thing.

Best

The max clean volume will be the same.

A 12AX7 may start to break-up at 3 on the knob, where a 5751 may start to break-up at 5 on the knob. But the respective volume will be the same for each tube (in this case at 3 and at 5). By numbers, it will look like the 5751 gives you "more clean head room", but it is really just a numbers thing.

Best

Gotcha .... thanks .... that's what I thought ya meant, even if my asking wasn't clear...heh

Archived