Gibson Brands Forums

parts question

patrick ginnaty

Aftermarket parts dealers such as AllParts sell generic versions. It's exactly the same vibrato without the etching and "Gibson" logo. They are most probably built by the same company in the same factory as the "Gibson" versions, and the retailers are just not authorized or licensed to sell the trademarked logo products. Trademark usage licensing can be very expensive.

If you want one with the etching and logo, you probably have no other choice but e-bay or a Gibson dealer. Gibson authorized dealers, service centers and repair shops have access to repair/replacement parts that are not available direct to the general public, but then you have to pay their "markup". Their gonna getcha one way or another.

After buying my Lifeson blind, I am positive that had I actually spent time with the design I wouldn't have. I think it's a worthless tremolo design. Combined with the tendency for both the Nashville/ABR bridges to be too high off the deck and consequently they do flex somewhat under the tremolo strain, tuning problems are just about guaranteed. I went to a roller bridge and though it hurt sustain just slightly the guitar will stay in tune fairly well now with lockers on the other end. That's with only a very subtle trem usage or, as Alex does, just don't use it at all. Also, the tremolo itself doesn't trem chords as well as other designs because of the torque applied bends the high strings a lot more than the low ones. Don't own a Bigsby yet but true FR, licensed FR, and even Wilkensons are functionally better.

... I think it's a worthless tremolo design. ...

Too bad you've had so much trouble. I've got a maestro on my 65 Gibson MM (purchased used in 74). Never had one lick of trouble. Works great. Still using it to this day. So I wouldn't agree with it being a worthless design. After all, they've been factory installed for over 50 years. If you're the original purchaser, have you contacted Gibson about the problem?

Too bad you've had so much trouble. I've got a maestro on my 65 Gibson MM (purchased used in 74). Never had one lick of trouble. Works great. Still using it to this day. So I wouldn't agree with it being a worthless design. After all, they've been factory installed for over 50 years. If you're the original purchaser, have you contacted Gibson about the problem?

Everyone I know that bought a Lifeson has tuning problems because of that tremolo. Lifeson himself said this:

132007613.jpg

Also know guya with the SG Maestro with the exact same problem.

Archived