Gibson Brands Forums

Couple of Newbie Questions

SouthpawPicker

Hi,

I'll soon be a new Gibson acoustic owner but confused about a couple of things that I hope you folks can clear up for me.

Is there any significance to the fact that some Gibsons say "Gibson" while others display "The Gibson"?

I'm thinking about buying a Robert Johnson acoustic and I'm seeing references to both L1 and L00.

Is there a definitive chart or reference anyone can point me to so I can understand the various sizes of Gibson bodies or learn more about each? I have reviewed the site, but haven't been able to figure it all out yet.

Many thanks for your help.

Southpaw

sez

"Any significance that some say Gibson" while others display "The Gibson". Changing looks with changing times. Script "the gibsson" =20s-30s; (you also see a white script Gibson around then); gold script Gibson (with banner, 41-45,plain 46-47); block logo =48 on on up. The scripts are used on quasi-vintage reissues

"I'm seeing references to both L1 and L00." The L1 is smaller (13 7/8) and 12 frets to the body. Tight and dry. The 14 7/8 L00 has a wee more ring to it. Last I checked they were making them of bubinga (rosewood-like) vs mahog for the LI.

"Is there a definitive reference [for] the various sizes of Gibsons" http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html

SoPaw, Check out thread below - " Gibson Seniority Status". JGWoods summarized answer to your question, I think. To get more into it - I would start at the Gibson website looking at models and descriptive info. Size, wood, finish, even pickguards - all vary and the model names/numbers do not offer direct correlation. Good luck on your journey of discovery.

Archived