Gibson Brands Forums

1981 SG ID

blasted

Hey folks, I am beyond confused now as I dig deeper into the history of my SG.

Serial # (80301637) Shows Made in Nashville, Jan 30th 1981 Production #137

As I dig deeper I find that I have a side input instead of front?

I also have a Kahler locking system that seems to be original to the era??

and also an EMG pickup?

Do I have a frankenstein or something other?

Thanks for any info!! :-k[thumbup]

Sorry can't help much but:

My first SG was a black, mid '80's SG. No locking system. Had a standard nut, bridge, and stop bar. Had the Gibson Alnico pups i think. No EMG pups.

During those years, Kahler was a popular tremolo system. What kind of bridge is on it? Got any pics?

Can't remember if my jack was side or front.

Hey folks, I am beyond confused now as I dig deeper into the history of my SG.

Serial # (80301637) Shows Made in Nashville, Jan 30th 1981 Production #137

As I dig deeper I find that I have a side input instead of front?

I also have a Kahler locking system that seems to be original to the era??

and also an EMG pickup?

Do I have a frankenstein or something other?

Thanks for any info!! :-k[thumbup]

my '82 Firebrand:

5347681297_cdaf8361f1_b.jpg

i would not rule out locking trem and emg being non-original.

what color is it? pics?

I am told that the EMG and the Kahler are/were aftermarket. The big question now....would the value of the guitar be higher and worth the cost to have it put back to stock? If so how much higher? I am not looking for a hard number but a ball park figures Anyone care to break it on down? [rolleyes]

I am told that the EMG and the Kahler are/were aftermarket. The big question now....would the value of the guitar be higher and worth the cost to have it put back to stock? If so how much higher? I am not looking for a hard number but a ball park figures Anyone care to break it on down? [rolleyes]

Yes, the trem and EMG are not stock.

The Kahler, although top mounted, still has some routing into the body under it.

The locking "nut" is easily removed, just held onto the head face with small screws.

The truss cover most likely been cut (not a big deal) to fit the locking nut.

The main thing would be filling the route and refinishing the guitar.

That will cost more than it is worth in resale value IMO.

I would just enjoy it as it is or set it up how you like but not worry about value.

A guitar is a tool after all.

Not to mention replacing the EMG and the volume/tone pots for the bridge position pup.

EMG's use 25k pots, for standard pups you will need (I believe) 250k/500k to put back in.

Yes, the trem and EMG are not stock.

The Kahler, although top mounted, still has some routing into the body under it.

The locking "nut" is easily removed, just held onto the head face with small screws.

The truss cover most likely been cut (not a big deal) to fit the locking nut.

The main thing would be filling the route and refinishing the guitar.

That will cost more than it is worth in resale value IMO.

I would just enjoy it as it is or set it up how you like but not worry about value.

A guitar is a tool after all.

Not to mention replacing the EMG and the volume/tone pots for the bridge position pup.

EMG's use 25k pots, for standard pups you will need (I believe) 250k/500k to put back in.

That is some sound advise and I do really appreciate it!! I just wanted to cover all my bases and I think you did that quite well so its back to a players guitar and it will shred on as such. Thanks for taking the time to steer me straight!

Hey, thanks to you guys, I now know what I have. It was pretty cool to track down the history of my axe. What I found out was this.....everything in the pictures is aftermarket.....WHA WHA WHAAAAAAA!!! I am not bummed because I learned the history of my axe and now I want to bring it back to life. Are there any luthies here that work for beer and honer??? I want to do the work myself, I just want an experienced eye to keep dibs on me and make sure I don't muck it up....

I have a wiring problem....if you are thirsty and want to play, let me know????? If you are in MI, then you will get a beer!!

Archived