Gibson Brands Forums

Art MP Tube Pre-amp

Riffster

For this price I am getting one so I can use it along with the owered PA speaker I just bought.

I could use the phantom power to use my condenser mics and give a boost to my SM57 (w/o phantom obviously).

I could boost the output of my cheap bass to record through the Line 6 UX2or run through the PA Speaker as well since I do not have a bass amp.

For this price I guess even the phantom power would justify it.

Does anyone have one of these?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp-105798490-i1171932.gc

post-41-084606100 1296061448_thumb.jpg

Totally... [thumbup]

I have two of them. I use them for recording with mics.

I have used them for live mic sound too. I also use them

to input my guitar directly for recording when I don't

want to mic an amp.

I got both of mine for 29.95 also (from MF)

I have not, but that's a good idea. Why didn't I think of that before?

I have a new weekend project now. [biggrin]

Well, at $15-$20 for a good 12AX7 you have to make sure that a tube swap will be an improvement, I was planning to try a Tung-Sol and a JJ from my amps and see if it is an improvement and if it is then I would buy one to upgrade this unit.

I have the next step up version - it has presets.

I too use it for everything I record when I use a condenser microphone. It is a great unit and I have never swapped the tube out.

I figure using this unit with a condenser mic would allow to get better gain with less noise for recording.

I almost forgot that my Seymour Duncan Woody pickup could benefit from a boost, an could play through the same PA speaker or record with the pickup if I need to.

Well, at $15-$20 for a good 12AX7 you have to make sure that a tube swap will be an improvement, I was planning to try a Tung-Sol and a JJ from my amps and see if it is an improvement and if it is then I would buy one to upgrade this unit.

I've got a few lying around. [biggrin] I always keep a variety on hand for such tweaks.

I always try the JJ and the Tung-Sol too, But I'm thinking that might be the place for the

much ballyhooed Telefunken I pulled out of one of my old Princetons - or an old RCA maybe.

Can't hurt to try.

I figure using this unit with a condenser mic would allow to get better gain with less noise for recording.

I almost forgot that my Seymour Duncan Woody pickup could benefit from a boost, an could play through the same PA speaker or record with the pickup if I need to.

Let us know how changing the tube out works and sounds..You are good at providing info.........

................................................................................

Yes, these units, both the basic and the 'other' one are nice units..I use them as well..Very nice............Yes, good for recording and live use........

For this price I am getting one so I can use it along with the owered PA speaker I just bought.

I could use the phantom power to use my condenser mics and give a boost to my SM57 (w/o phantom obviously).

I could boost the output of my cheap bass to record through the Line 6 UX2or run through the PA Speaker as well since I do not have a bass amp.

For this price I guess even the phantom power would justify it.

Does anyone have one of these?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp-105798490-i1171932.gc

I've had one for a couple of years. I've used it many times and it has always worked great, and pretty much done what I needed it to do.

For the price, I don't think you can beat it.

• 4 months later...

Old post, just an update.

I ended up swapping the stock tube (which looks extremely generic and fragile) for an old Sylvania 12AX7 that I found on an old Ham radio and it made a big difference in the sound of this preamp. The sound is rounder and warmer. I don't sing but running my bass through it and then a PA it sounds significantly better, including when the tube starts breaking up.

The Sylvania tube is nothing special, if it was the tube hounds would be all over it but they sell for like $10 on eBay, I ended up using it on this preamp because he tube rattles on my only combo amp, in this preamp that is not an issue since there is no speaker sound pounding the tube.

So all and all this unit is great for the price but if you add a quality tube it sounds much better.

Archived