Gibson Brands Forums

57 pickups on LP Traditional Pro opinion

whiteop

I just bought a goldtop Gibson LP Traditional Pro and while I think the Burstbucker 3's sound good for my tastes, I find the 57's (in the neck position) to be a little muddy, fuzzy and unarticulated. Since I love Slash's tone on the neck pickup I ordered a Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II APH-2 (zebra style to match current pickup style). I also looked at the Dimarzio Air Norton and Tone Zone which are also zebra pickups and they sounded pretty good too. I got the SD's because I have an Epiphone LP Ultra II that has Alnico Classic pickup in the neck position (which is in the same family) and it's a really nice sounding pickup. Having owned both guitars I can honestly say the Gibson feels and sounds better but let me tell you that particular Epiphone is no slacker either. It sounds great too. As far as build quality goes though the Gibson is quite a bit better in every aspect. Ahh the smell of a brand new Gibson and that nitrocellulose finish...:)

I just bought a goldtop Gibson LP Traditional Pro and while I think the Burstbucker 3's sound good for my tastes, I find the 57's (in the neck position) to be a little muddy, fuzzy and unarticulated. Since I love Slash's tone on the neck pickup I ordered a Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II APH-2 (zebra style to match current pickup style). I also looked at the Dimarzio Air Norton and Tone Zone which are also zebra pickups and they sounded pretty good too. I got the SD's because I have an Epiphone LP Ultra II that has Alnico Classic pickup in the neck position (which is in the same family) and it's a really nice sounding pickup. Having owned both guitars I can honestly say the Gibson feels and sounds better but let me tell you that particular Epiphone is no slacker either. It sounds great too. As far as build quality goes though the Gibson is quite a bit better in every aspect. Ahh the smell of a brand new Gibson and that nitrocellulose finish...:)

The Traditional GoldTop has TWO 57s.......The Traditional Pro has a BB3 bridge, and a 57 neck.........Please clarify which guitar you have and which pickups your LP has and where...

And if you end up with a 57 that you don't need, I have many guitars that can use the 57....PM me if you wish..........

Was there a question in there somewhere? I love 57s, me.

I also love my 57s, and P-90s.............Just picked up my Strat yesterday for recording, forgot how comfy they feel and sound.........

The Traditional GoldTop has TWO 57s.......The Traditional Pro has a BB3 bridge, and a 57 neck.........Please clarify which guitar you have and which pickups your LP has and where...

And if you end up with a 57 that you don't need, I have many guitars that can use the 57....PM me if you wish..........

I also love my 57s, and P-90s.............Just picked up my Strat yesterday for recording, forgot how comfy they feel and sound.........

mine is a Traditional Pro and has the Burstbucker III in the bridge and '57 in the neck. Unless I'm missing something the 57 sounds a little fuzzy to my ears when distorted. Clean or mild overdrive it sounds great but for what I do I like more of a Slash type sound. I'm keeping the '57 in case I decide to sell the guitar later. I know how some guys are sticklers about wanting everything stock and I'd probably have to drop it back in.

Whack King, noticed you are a praise and worship guitarist too (followed your link). Just got through working with a sound engineer that has worked with the Dixie Chicks, Don Henley, Sting, and (dare I say it) Kris Krisofferson. He helped us get our sound reinforcement system optimized at our church. Worked with him until 11:15 last night on the system. Sounds great now.

BTW - what pickups are you using on Higher Expressions? I notice from your playing we share some of the same influences. I heard a little Ted Nugent buried in Jam For Jesus there somewhere...lol

Later,

WhiteOp

Whack King, noticed you are a praise and worship guitarist too (followed your link). Just got through working with a sound engineer that has worked with the Dixie Chicks, Don Henley, Sting, and (dare I say it) Kris Krisofferson. He helped us get our sound reinforcement system optimized at our church. Worked with him until 11:15 last night on the system. Sounds great now.

BTW - what pickups are you using on Higher Expressions? I notice from your playing we share some of the same influences. I heard a little Ted Nugent buried in Jam For Jesus there somewhere...lol

Later,

WhiteOp

Hey WhiteOp, good to know you are a P&W player. It's cool you got known professionals working on your sound system. We need someone to train us on the pro tools, and we will be set. We have an analog mixing board from the eighty's that was supposedly used for a top 40 hit. On Higher Expressions I used burst bucker v pickups from my les paul studio and used a line 6 pod. Jam 4 jesus was recorded in 2003 and that ted nugent thing was inevitable, hahah. I'd like to hear some of your music. You can post it here or you can pm me if you want. by the way like I said my 57s sound great, not sure if we're hearing the same thing or it maybe because we have different guitars.... Donno... C ya!

Archived