Gibson Brands Forums

How should i solve this issue with Epiphone The Dot???

Juicefani11

Your edit beat me to my question - I was going to ask if you had

any parts/hardware that were loose and/or spinning, which could result

in broken wires.

Your description sounded like a "Classic" ground problem, and NOW it's most

likely is that the loose jack spun around and broke at least one wire, most

likely the ground wire.

If you're relatively new to modding/repairing gits, the EASIEST way to go is

to take it a tech and let THEM worry about disassembly and repair. HOWEVER,

I am assuming Thomann has a WARRANTY if you should choose to go that route, if the

guitar is still under warranty. Attempt to contact Thomann, and ask what you should do,

as you LIVE IN ANOTHER COUNTRY! (Perhaps they will cover the cost of repair?).

If you should want to KEEP it (which keeps it there with you), Can you Solder?

This WILL void your warranty if you choose to repair, but I void my git warranties

all the time! [tongue]

Getting access to the parts/and replacing on a Semi-Hollowbody isn't exactly easy,

but can be done. Many folks here who do it all the time.

I hate to hear your NEW Dot did that to you. This is hindsight, and perhaps others

will learn from it, but one of the first things to do to a new git is to break out the

tools and check all the screws, nuts, etc.

Post back your intentions, and we'll try to help you.

Oh, yeah - WELCOME to the FORUM! It WILL get better!

ya know considering what a good quality switchcraft output jack costs, why in the world does epiphone cut that specific corner? So the guitar would be $10-15 more? Put in a decent jack then Epi! We end up changing them out anyway, I'd gladly pay the extra $$ so I wouldn't have to go to the trouble.

It is a shame that such an obvious defect as Epi's ever-loosening output jacks doesn't get addressed. Same thing happened to my Dot. Not a big deal for me, because I can fix stuff myself, but I'm sure it sucks for someone who's not so handy. I got a Switchcraft jack for $1.99 US retail (shipping included), so how much would it really cost Epiphone to source a better jack? The corporate mentality is that, for example, a 25-cent cost saving multiplied by millions of units amounts to a heck of a lot of profit. And the jack situation reeks of that mentality. Such is capitalism......

Juicefan: Take a deep breath, then go find someone to fix your guitar.

AnimalFarm: Sure, the repair would technically void the warranty, but how would they know?

I feel your pain! I purchased my first guitar 7 months ago -- an Epi SG -- and though used, it was clean but with electonics issues. I think with most products -- particularly with electronics -- consumers are use to things working and expect no issues. Or if there is an issue, they exchange or repair under warranty. I've learned guitars are different, particularly in the lower to modest priced range -- sometimes expensive ones as well. Anyway, the guys on the forum are right about expect to look over a guitar carefully and be prepared to deal with at least easy to modest problems on you own if warranty service or repair service is short in your area. I was annoyed I had to replace some electronics on my own with little or no experience, but once I received some help here on the forum, I was proud to have done it myself. Of course I had no warranty, otherwise I would have pursued that angle.

ya know considering what a good quality switchcraft output jack costs, why in the world does epiphone cut that specific corner? So the guitar would be $10-15 more? Put in a decent jack then Epi! We end up changing them out anyway, I'd gladly pay the extra $$ so I wouldn't have to go to the trouble.

I agree!! Now that I see what a better switch, jack & pots cost, why not use them in the first place & charge another $20.00 for the guitar!

Archived