Gibson Brands Forums

les paul finish problem

pe001ne

I feel awful, I was cleaning a pot with Permatex contact cleaner, supposedly non corrosive, and the valve jammed open and sprayed excessive ammounts which dripped down the side and onto the front leaving a rust colored mark on the finish of the AAA matched maple as well as a clear residue on the back and side. I have tried polish with no effect.

Any ideas?

Welcome.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

That could be tough to remove. Maybe a buffing with a bit of buffing compound.

Same here. If a fine buffing compound doesn't work you can lightly wet sand it with 1500 or 2000 grit sand paper. If you do this soak the paper in a bowl of luke warm water with a little bit of dish soap. Sand a little and wipe with a clothe or a little piece of rubber squeegee and once the finish gets dull use the compound to polish again and see where your at. You may need to repeat this a couple of times to determine if you are going to get it out or be stuck with it...

Andy

Same here. If a fine buffing compound doesn't work you can lightly wet sand it with 1500 or 2000 grit sand paper. If you do this soak the paper in a bowl of luke warm water with a little bit of dish soap. Sand a little and wipe with a clothe or a little piece of rubber squeegee and once the finish gets dull use the compound to polish again and see where your at. You may need to repeat this a couple of times to determine if you are going to get it out or be stuck with it...

Andy

That should do the trick. Only problem with that method is that if your not careful your going to end up with a big dip in the finish

If you use this method please be very light. I know tha the sand paper would have been soaked in soap and water but its still better to be safe than sorry.

That should do the trick. Only problem with that method is that if your not careful your going to end up with a big dip in the finish

If you use this method please be very light. I know tha the sand paper would have been soaked in soap and water but its still better to be safe than sorry.

Krock is right but with 2000 grade it would take a lot of effort to really remove that much finish. If he surface where the stain is flat use a little rubber flat block. You can get one of the big rubber blocks from a hardware store and cut a small block from it. Again if you try this just sand enough to dull the finish then polish and see where you are. Taking little steps and trying it in the most unnoticeable area first. If you have the cash then take Benders advice and take it to a pro.

Andy

Archived