Gibson Brands Forums

Really dumb question-----

boss gt8

First time EVER owning an Epiphone Les Paul and Im changing out the p'ups. I took the back cover off and saw that there was a 'quick disconnect' plug in there. Im guessing it goes from the toggle switch to the 2 volume outs? And why? Can it be snipped when I put my new p'ups in and wire them the normal way? And are teh regular gibby's like that as well?

Boss,

First things first...There are no dumb questions. I am good at dumb answers. Let's hope this is not one of them.

As mentioned, if you can, post a pic. It should look either like this:

spagetti.jpg

or like this:

lpwiring.jpg

IMPORTANT: If you have the plastic tie strap on the wires, carefully cut it off and separate the wires so we can identify them. You can always replace it later with a twist tie.

Many here could probably answer your question right now, but, let's not have any mistakes.

Willy

First time EVER owning an Epiphone Les Paul and Im changing out the p'ups. I took the back cover off and saw that there was a 'quick disconnect' plug in there. Im guessing it goes from the toggle switch to the 2 volume outs? And why? Can it be snipped when I put my new p'ups in and wire them the normal way? And are teh regular gibby's like that as well?

That plug has been standard issue for years now - it makes assembly easier, it goes exactly where you said it goes. Sure you can cut it out and work around it, or keep it and use the leads is easier.

Rob,

James_Edward is, of course, spot on.

The short answer is yes.

In doing so, the main thing is to keep track of the colored wires. A blue wire on one side of the connector may go to a red on the other. Not rocket science but if you loose track it can be a pain retracing them. It is a simple modern dependent scheme, however, it is not accomplished in the simplest fashion.

The routing of the ground coming off the connector should be checked as Epi has a strange way of connecting the pot grounds together. Are you talking about removing all the wires after the connector and redoing them or just soldering the wires on both sides together to eliminate the connector?

Now for the question some of us may be entertaining:

Why bother?

Willy

My intentions were to put a pair of duncans in her (jazz or 59/jb) but im shooting for a set of GFS fat pat/crunchy pat because of the shortage of funding.

anyhoo, I figured I would just 'yank' all of the wires out - ( does 'yank sound painful'?) and do it duncan style ( sounds perverted )-- ya know, the old fashion way. I re-p'up all of my guitars for years and first the first time, owning a epip, the plug threw me off, for I have never seen these, except for the EMG concept.

For a second, when I opened up the guitar and looked at her guts, I thought that my guitar was one of guitars that was either made on a friday night at 4:45pm or on a monday at 7:00am (if ya dont get the joke, dont be afraid to raise your hand).

Rob [flapper]

anyhoo, I figured I would just 'yank' all of the wires out

For a second, when I opened up the guitar and looked at her guts, I thought that my guitar was one of guitars that was either made on a friday night at 4:45pm or on a monday at 7:00am.

YANK?...Rob, you're killing me. As to the Friday, Monday thing I'm sure anyone that has ever worked for a living understands! LOL

OK, a couple of comments.

Cavity appearance: Can't say I blame you for wanting to clean it up. I do it with all of mine.

Here's my LP Special after a little house cleaning.

IMG_1746-1.jpg

Don't be confused by the 5 wires coming form the body. I use vintage wire so it requires 3 separate wires from the switch.

(I'm old fashioned that way)

On the subject of wiring a couple of thoughts.

Just as a warning: While you are "yanking" the wires be very careful with the bridge ground wire! LOL. It is the one wire you will always want to reuse.

If you are doing the work anyway, you may want to consider a new jack and toggle switch....They are the weakest points on most Epis. You may eventually end up replacing them anyway. If you do go Switchcraft.

Besides, the original switch wire may need to be replaced. At very least you will possibly have to lengthen the (+) wire that goes between the switch and the jack for it to reach....(Don't know.)

Besides, with the pickups out, the body routes will already be exposed.

Sooooo, at this point what's left? Four pots, a couple caps and maybe some knobs.

The entire job usually costs me about $60-$70 bucks.

Anyway, just some things for consideration.

If you do decide to take it any further than originally planned you might (or might not) be interested in this:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/61124-let-me-rephrase-the-question-p94-swap-questions/

Well, that's my take on the Yellow Brick Road. Some call it fantasy land, others say Kansas will never seem the same.

Willy

Yea willy, I agree with blue epi ----- your cavity is really organized and neat and clean....your mom would be proud [biggrin] ......

anyway, with the toggle switch and pots---one day really soon, Im gonna swap them. with the caps, the only ones I ever messed with , were the sprague orange drops....I put them in my ibby rg with dimarzio tone zone and norton and ballsy it was - i loved it [thumbup] .

as mentioned before, I was considering GFS p'ups and at the same time, using their toggle switch and pots, but some guy on craigslist here in town ( murrieta,ca ) has a set of bill lawrence ( keystone k-400ms ) buckers that he wants to sell me.

So, does anyone use bill lawrence and do they sound good in a LP?

The only BL I know is the 500, 500c, and 500xl, which I hate [cursing] .

I take that back, I used the BL 250l and it was a good s/c bucker.

Rob

Archived