Gibson Brands Forums

absolute ultimate acoustic guitar ever played

bennosteve

Back in about 1990 or 91, my wife's boss said he had this old acoustic guitar since 1961. He didn't play and knew nothing about guitars so he asked me would I look at it for him and see what I thought. I said sure. He said he didn't even remember how long the strings had been on it. It turned out to be a Gibson. I can't remember the model, but it was the easiest playing, sweetest sounding acoustic I've ever played, before or since!

I sometimes kick myself for not saying something like..."well it's pretty nice but nothing great...I'll give you a hundred bucks for it :^o " . i just don't have the heart to do that kind of thing though.

Gibson unplugged but Taylor plugged. I think Gibson really nails down a great sound with their acoustics, but Taylor's expression system is sweeter sounding than Gibson's system. If I had my choice I'd say a Taylor 914CE Grand Auditorium. I'm not a big acoustic guy so I went with a cheaper, but still great Taylor, the 310CE.

I've played a lot of acoustics through the years, including some pretty nice Taylors and Martins but I have an old Alvarez Artist series guitar that must be one of those magical accidents. I got for a little over $400 bucks but every time I play it I remember why I bought it in the first place. With every strum and pluck of a string this amazingly beautiful sound floats out of the sound hole.

Its been on trips, banged off tables, knocked off stands and rained on. It's the ultimate road worn acoustic but only gets better sounding with age.

PS It didn't come with a case and for 17 years now has never been in one. Tough old gal with the voice of an angel.msp_thumbup.gif

Archived