Gibson Brands Forums

Peavey Classic VTX Series Amp Help?

AC/DCWyattAC/DC

We got a Peavey Classic VTX Series Amp from a family freind but it dosn't work and we want to fix it. Heres the problem, he lent it to his brother or something and he accidently left it on all night and now it dosn't work... it turns on but wont work. We cheched the tubes and they light up, and the speakers are fine, we think, but its amp thats not working..... Could it be the wires or something inside the amp, what could happen to an amp this size if left on overnight? And could this amp along with a Ds-1 effects pedal create a great AC/DC sound?

We got a Peavey Classic VTX Series Amp from a family freind but it dosn't work and we want to fix it. Heres the problem, he lent it to his brother or something and he accidently left it on all night and now it dosn't work... it turns on but wont work. We cheched the tubes and they light up, and the speakers are fine, we think, but its amp thats not working..... Could it be the wires or something inside the amp, what could happen to an amp this size if left on overnight? And could this amp along with a Ds-1 effects pedal create a great AC/DC sound?

While there are some knowledgeable cats on here, I'd try the peavey forums.

HOLD ON THERE FOR JUST A MINUTE!

I know a guy thats named Wyatt and he likes AC/DC too!

is this a coincidence or is it really you?

about the amp, I would say something got hot, then blowed.

do a full check and see if anything looks funny.

like what KBig said, go to the peavey forums on this one. [thumbup]

I hate to be the one who asks "Are you sure it's plugged in?" but....

My main amp is an '88 Classic VTX. On the far right of the front panel there is a standby switch, right next to the power switch. Is it at all possible the standby switch is 'off'?. There have been times when I've reached down to turn the amp off and accidentally hit the standby switch instead.

Killer, under-rated amp by the way. I had a '74 Fender Twin prior to the Peavey and it was getting to the point that it needed retubing and recapping. Not in my budget in 1997. A friend wanted to swap me the Peavey for the Fender, even swap. I wanted a 24 hour trial period. In that 24 hours I found the Peavey did everything the Fender did except louder.

All with two lousy 6L6s.

They are worth absolutely nothing for some reason. But I'll keep mine until it crumbles to dust.

Yup I have it apart lookeing t it to make sure everything looks right, which it dose, and im cleaning it before sending it in to get checked out. Btw i think the tubes are fine but how bright are they supose to be and is it true that if the tubes were bad fuses would be blown? i checked all the fuses and there fine.

I think you cooked the printplate..

If tubes light up, doesn't mean they are alright, you could try to get a pre-amp tube end an end tube and change the tubes one by one, if one of the tubes is broken the amp would work again, but I don't think that a broken tube is the problem.

Tubes get very hot en warm up the frame and the printplate, and a minor crack in the printplate causes contact problems and the amp won't work.

One of the feeders also could be damaged (I believe these Peavey's has 2 feeders).

The best thing to do is to bring the amp to a amp-repairman.

Don't do funny things with it,unless you want to meet the reaper.

Second:, let this teach you one important lesson: always pull the plug out when you are not using it.

When lightning strikes, and your amp is still connected in the contact box, it becomes a big bomb.

When you leave it on, it can cause a fire, I think you are lucky, you left on a good old strong US made amp,for the night and nothing happened, you don't wanna know what happened, when you left a crappy Chinese amp on.....

You won't get a AC/DC sound with a Boss DS-1.

Angus and Malcom only use their crunch channel on there Marschall amp (I believe they use the JCM 2000 right now).

The trick is to use your crunch channel and use this configuration: bass: 7, middle 11 and treble 8/9 (i do this on my Peavey Classic 30).

I use a Gibson SG with a Lyra Vibrola (the lyra pumps up extra midds)

You can also get you hands on this: http://www.pedalspluseffectswarehouse.com/HAO_Rust_Driver_p/hao-rd1.htm

I have one myself and it copies the old Marshalls pretty good.

Succes..

Archived