Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Valve Jr. Help

Hey guys, first time posting and was wondering if you guys had the answer to my question. If this is the wrong forum to be asking, I'm sorry.

I've got an epiphone valve jr and have had it for about a year. Recently when i go to turn it on, sound will just cut off. No buzzing, no pops, nothing. It's not the cables because I've been able to play on other amps with them and definitely the guitar.

Any ideas?

Like the old saying goes....."there is a good reason why tubes are in sockets, and not soldered into the board."

Owning tube amps requires spare tubes. Try a new preamp tube (the small one), and then try a new power tube. You must be sure that the replacement tubes work. Just because you by a new tube, does not guarantee the tube functions properly. Tubes can, and do, go bad during the shipping process.

Anyway.....start with tube replacement and take it from there.

Let Us Know

You must be sure that the replacement tubes work. Just because you by a new tube, does not guarantee the tube functions properly. Tubes can, and do, go bad during the shipping process.

Anyway.....start with tube replacement and take it from there.

Let Us Know

Yup .... I bought 3 different power tubes for my VJr from a local shop - Fender branded (dunno who actually makes 'em) and one was dead, 1 was terribly microophonic, and one had really bad filament rattle....... and the guy at the counter says "That's strange......" as if it never happened before...LOL. Have had great luck ordering online (no bad ones yet), and I found that the local pawn shop sells new Peavey branded tubes for a really good price....have good luck with those, too. Definitely pays to have a few working spares of each type around as backups....and it's easy with the single power and single pre-amp tubes in the VJ, as mo sets to match.. [thumbup]

I seem to remember that the VJRs had issue with the fuse holder. Something about adhesive covering the contacts that can be scraped off to eliminate this problem. Let me see if a search turns up anything...

Here's one...

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/58662-valve-jr-woes-again/page__p__791614__hl__fuse+holder+valve+junior__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=791614

• 1 month later...

most common thing about the vj ..

remove the orange wire fuse holder.. that is, take it apart..

scratch up the metal bits in each end..

I scratch the fuse ends, too..

reassemble.

Bet I've answered this question a 100 times and that was nearly it every single time.

they get some goop in there that stops contact.

it need to be bare metal to bare metal.. and it should fire right up and be good forever.

most common thing about the vj ..

remove the orange wire fuse holder.. that is, take it apart..

scratch up the metal bits in each end..

I scratch the fuse ends, too..

reassemble.

Bet I've answered this question a 100 times and that was nearly it every single time.

they get some goop in there that stops contact.

it need to be bare metal to bare metal.. and it should fire right up and be good forever.

Yup - I scored a brand new VJ head'n'cab for $150 "non-working." That's all it took was a couple minutes to remove the back, scrape the fuse ends and contacts and slap it back together...been gold ever since. Can't remember if I read about that tip here or on sewatt, but I figured it was worth the gamble, that being such a common problem. And, if it was more serious, would be my foray into amp repair/modding. Have the soldering iron, solder, tons of info, but have left it stock. The humble $29 Danelectro Fish'n'Chips eq pedal works wonders on the humble VJ [biggrin]

You can get some very nice improvement with some fairly mild mods to the vj.

Just saying!

The fuse problem crops up again and again and again.

I got two vjs via MF for discount, both of which had just that problem.

Those got me started in modding.

And it can happen later, somehow, than brand new.

Archived