Gibson Brands Forums

PEDAL HELP NEEDED! Pedal broken

Silenced Fred

So I'm playing on my guitar and my Big Muff pedal goes out, then back in a little fizzy, then completely dead. I go to swap out the battery, and the wires that are connected to the battery attachment are broken off!

is this a soldering thing? Can I just get a new attachment thing or wires or what? Everything on the pedal seems to be intact, just the wire that was attached to the battery connector, the red and black ones.

Thanks guys, I hope I'm overreacting

So I'm playing on my guitar and my Big Muff pedal goes out, then back in a little fizzy, then completely dead. I go to swap out the battery, and the wires that are connected to the battery attachment are broken off!

is this a soldering thing? Can I just get a new attachment thing or wires or what? Everything on the pedal seems to be intact, just the wire that was attached to the battery connector, the red and black ones.

Thanks guys, I hope I'm overreacting

Should not be tough to fix. Radio shack should have the connector you'd need. Can you post a pic of the broken wire?

Don

Yeah you'll have to remove the old wires and put the new ones in. Just look how they are stock and copy that.

Also if you see a nicer snap get it. I've seen plastic ones before.

If you take it into an electronics repair shop I'm sure they'd do it cheap. That would literally take about 30 seconds to

fix.

you can get a low watt soldering iron kit and that 9V connector at radio shack. less than $10 for everything you'd need.

I need to learn more about electronics... looking around at all the components, I really want to build a stutter box to run between my amp and guitar a la Jack White... damn

Yeah, I'm not too worried, my dad said he probably has a soldering iron somewhere, so all I need is some wire and the connector, and I'll be back in business [thumbup]

Thanks guys

I need to learn more about electronics... looking around at all the components, I really want to build a stutter box to run between my amp and guitar a la Jack White... damn

Yeah, I'm not too worried, my dad said he probably has a soldering iron somewhere, so all I need is some wire and the connector, and I'll be back in business [thumbup]

Thanks guys

to make that, you'd just need a momentary button, some lead wire, and two 1/4" jacks. including the box, probably less than $20 in parts... :)

building stuff is addictive once you get started!

I've really been wanting to build some pedals actually. I want to start out with something simple. I've looked at my SHO and there's not a lot in there. I want to build one!

Check out pedalpartsplus for parts.

one of my favorite places is small bear electronics: good stuff.

Yeah smallbear has the Taiwanese B bottom plates that I need.

Djroge I'd like to buy one but they're so expensive for kits. It'd be a lot easier for me to drop like $30 for a SHO clone right now. My brother is really good at that stuff I think I'm gonna have him help me.

What I really love is fuzz. If I could get to the point where I can build fuzz pedals that I think are actually good, I'd be really happy.

for fuzz, definitely check out this site (if you haven't already):

fuzzcentral

i built a silicon fuzz face based on data hosted here: great place to start! it hasn't been updated in a while, but the data is still there.

the "axis face" in particular looks like one i may try: i bought a bunch of BD139s for cheap.

have fun!

Don

As long as we're high jacking this thread...

I just bought a board to make a Mad Bean Serendipity pedal. It's a clone of the Zen Drive. I have some of the parts already but I need to order some parts too.

Cheaper than BYOC - yes, but I have to source my own parts. That is part of the reason the BYOC are a little expensive for a clone kit; they have all the parts you need already shipped at once and include instructions.

It's the same with building amps.

Completed amps cost the most because they are already built/assembled

Kits cost less but they have all the parts

Source your own cost the least but you have to source the parts which can be time consuming depending on the amp.

Just food for thought.

As long as we're high jacking this thread...

I just bought a board to make a Mad Bean Serendipity pedal. It's a clone of the Zen Drive. I have some of the parts already but I need to order some parts too.

Mad Bean makes great PCB's. I was interested in building this one too. Let me know how it turns out!!

for fuzz, definitely check out this site (if you haven't already):

fuzzcentral

i built a silicon fuzz face based on data hosted here: great place to start! it hasn't been updated in a while, but the data is still there.

the "axis face" in particular looks like one i may try: i bought a bunch of BD139s for cheap.

have fun!

Don

Oh man... I wanna make a tonebender MKII... a whole fuzz build site... yumm

And DJ- feel free to hijack, I'm just getting more and more information off of this stuff, keep on postin [thumbup]

Oh man... I wanna make a tonebender MKII... a whole fuzz build site... yumm

And DJ- feel free to hijack, I'm just getting more and more information off of this stuff, keep on postin [thumbup]

which version of that were you looking at? the original or one of the mods? looks like it might be fun to try: the hard part would be sourcing the transistors.

I build pedals from the ground up often. That's an EASY fix. Go to any Radio Shack or electronics parts store and buy one of those 9V connectors; usually you can buy like 5 or so in a package for pretty cheap like this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062218. Open the pedal up and note where the black and red wires are connected to the circuit board (camera phone works good for this) then unsolder the wires then simply solder the wires on the new connector in then put the pedal back together. Very easy to do; probably a 15 min job. Hint: a bulb desoldering tool like this one helps in sucking up the old solder out of the holes where the new wires need to go... http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062745

Archived