Gibson Brands Forums

Amp simulators,, your thoughts

SGSpecialguy

Guitar Rig is a pretty sweet toy. It took me about 2 hours with the thing before I was a complete believer. I personally find it more difficult and time consuming to record amps than anyone else has let on. You can come back to it later and try to find the same tone, but you forgot which mics you used, where they were placed, and where you had the settings on the amp and the interface. Having the same tone at the click of a mouse is a huge time saver. Plus adding effects later is much easier than putting everything in front of the signal and then tweeking. If I could set up a rig where I could run this software through a preamp into a cab for playing live, I would do it in a second.

first, I dont think you could call Guitar Rig a "toy" [laugh][laugh][thumbup] and second, there are lots of people out there that bring their laptop along with them and do actually run that program live into a preamp or directly into a PA allowing you to use your presets, which Im sure are much better then using the stock presets, again Ive read of some people running a tube preamp in front of the signal making it much more "tube amp like" I still dont see getting that infinite tube like sustain and feedback that you can get from a tube amp,, alot of artists though these days are indeed using them in studios and maybe live too

first, I dont think you could call Guitar Rig a "toy" [laugh][laugh][thumbup] and second, there are lots of people out there that bring their laptop along with them and do actually run that program live into a preamp or directly into a PA allowing you to use your presets, which Im sure are much better then using the stock presets, again Ive read of some people running a tube preamp in front of the signal making it much more "tube amp like" I still dont see getting that infinite tube like sustain and feedback that you can get from a tube amp,, alot of artists though these days are indeed using them in studios and maybe live too

The guitarist from Deftones, Stephen Carpenter uses a laptop for all of their new stuff and has that on top of his rack with Marshalls in it.

A lot of people are running laptops and amp simulators and the sound is good on the high quality ones, but most of it for me is the feel and what I like. I like to feel the sound coming through and that feeling IMO only can be provided through a tube amp.

Personally I find the simulators are great practicing and demo recording tools. But they

don't sound good to me in live situations.

I also don't find the tones inspiring. Satisfactory at times, perhaps -- but inspiring,

no. I get that from my tube amps though. They give me back something that the digital

stuff does not.

I used to sound just like allot of people in this post years ago I wanted nothing to do with Amp simulators, midi tracks or anything fake. If it wasn't a tube I didn't want to even hear it.

But that's changed over the years I wasn't one of the lucky few who made it big. I don't always get to decide what sound is going to be used on a song or record if I'm in the studio chances are 90% or better that I'm doing studio work for somebody else. Then everything changes and the whole point is trying to help them get their sound and not my own. I'll play any style and any setup if it's to fill the guitar slot for somebody else's dream. A tool like the Eleven Rack is easier to change parameters and a whole lot easier to carry then a dozen amps, a couple dozen cabs and 50-60 pedals so I'm all for it.

It was clear to me years ago that I wasn't gonna be Eric Clapton or Warren Haynes but so what maybe I'm just a blue collar guitarist but 'm happy with that. Right now I'm doing some work with a 20 something little rap/pop type girl and she sure isn't interested in my bluesy southern rock glass-slide style being on her recordings, so it won't be there, she's the artist and I'm just a hired gun playing a guitar so I'll use any tool that helps.

As a recording tool, perhaps. I mean, you can't argue with industry standards and modeling is standard right now, but so is pitch correction and Sampling. But for my ears.......... [thumbdn]

When I have a modeling program in front of me(even through Sennhieser Headphones and a good sound card) or a modeling amp, it sounds good for a few pick strikes, then I start hearing the pings and glicks when the algorithms don't line up. The one test I do for any Digital Modeling, specially where any sort of overdrive is involved, is a typical "Stationary Bend" or "Unison Bend". Ya know the ones that country and blues guys use to pieces, finger a static note and bend the adjacent note to match or blend. I have yet to hear a Modeling Amp or Program that doesn't loose it's smoothness in that situation.

Archived