Gibson Brands Forums

Electric for YOUNG beginner

Thawk Dean

I'm going to have to throw my vote toward the Epi Jr, or maybe a Special (of course I'm a Gibson "style" kinda guy).

And not to "dis" Epiphones, but I have found that the Jay Turser guitars are decent, set neck guitars for cheap.

I just bought a brand new double cut, arched maple top, set neck for $150 (incl. shipping) from eBay, and I'm VERY

impressed with the overall quality and playability of it, right out of the box. In fact, after being shipped 1000 miles

in a UPS truck, one string was out of tune! The neck is adjusted properly, intonation right on, good tuners, hot pickups,

nice finish, nice action and beautiful fretboard. Only thing I have done is tune it up and plug it in!

I have 30 yrs playing experience and I still play my Juniors a whole bunch. Mind you they are not professional quality instruments, not in my thinking, but are very good practice/learning tools. Just be sure when you are checking them out to

sit down and play them, and I don't mean for 5 minutes. PLAY THEM! Mess with it for at least 30 minutes checking the controls, tuners etc. I've purchased gits that I sat and played for 10 minutes that seemed fine until I got it home and played it for a while,

finding buzzes I didn't hear at the store and pots that cut out or were noisy etc.

But keep in mind, if you have an inferior guitar, learning on it will be inhibited! I say that from experience.

My first electric was some no name Telecaster copy, that I didn't learn much on, because it didn't play well,

it sounded like crap, and I just plain didn't care much for it. You have to admit, when you have a guitar

you really like, one that feels good, sound decent and catches your eye, that you find yourself wanting to play it all the time!

Good luck in your search!

I'm going to have to throw my vote toward the Epi Jr, or maybe a Special (of course I'm a Gibson "style" kinda guy).

And not to "dis" Epiphones, but I have found that the Jay Turser guitars are decent, set neck guitars for cheap.

I just bought a brand new double cut, arched maple top, set neck for $150 (incl. shipping) from eBay, and I'm VERY

impressed with the overall quality and playability of it, right out of the box. In fact, after being shipped 1000 miles

in a UPS truck, one string was out of tune! The neck is adjusted properly, intonation right on, good tuners, hot pickups,

nice finish, nice action and beautiful fretboard. Only thing I have done is tune it up and plug it in!

I have 30 yrs playing experience and I still play my Juniors a whole bunch. Mind you they are not professional quality instruments, not in my thinking, but are very good practice/learning tools. Just be sure when you are checking them out to

sit down and play them, and I don't mean for 5 minutes. PLAY THEM! Mess with it for at least 30 minutes checking the controls, tuners etc. I've purchased gits that I sat and played for 10 minutes that seemed fine until I got it home and played it for a while,

finding buzzes I didn't hear at the store and pots that cut out or were noisy etc.

But keep in mind, if you have an inferior guitar, learning on it will be inhibited! I say that from experience.

My first electric was some no name Telecaster copy, that I didn't learn much on, because it didn't play well,

it sounded like crap, and I just plain didn't care much for it. You have to admit, when you have a guitar

you really like, one that feels good, sound decent and catches your eye, that you find yourself wanting to play it all the time!

Good luck in your search!

Not much different than getting an acoustic. It's gotta FIT and SOUND good to you. If my grandson is interested in an electric, it may be easier for him to stick with it. My main idea is to make sure he gets a git that is set up well for playability and will make it EASIER for him to enjoy learning and playing. thanks for your thoughts, Dean

If this is not supposed to be a surprise for the boy, why not just take him to a guitar shop and have him try out a few and see what he likes? That way he is getting what he wants (granted he isn't looking at a Gibson Les Paul Custom) and you can check it out in store and get it set up and all. Just makes sense to me... I also recommend an inexpensive modeling amp (Peavey Vypyr 15 comes to mind) so he can have some effects to play around with.

Unless he's very particular with his stuff you have to be careful with LPs and SGs and kids because of their angled back headstocks, as they are a major weak point. Bolt neck or set neck, if one of those falls over you could end up with tears.

The Yamaha Pacifica is a fine quality starter electric but you have to watch out for guitars with trems as they can be difficult for beginners to set up. Another alternative would be a tele or strat copy from, Xaviere (in the US) or Vintage (in the UK.) Both have good write ups for quality/price and, in the used market, you could get a very good deal as they won't hold their price as well as a more famous brand. Note: Teles don't have trems and can give a lot of either grit or twang but you never see anybody recommend them for young beginners. I'm really not sure why.

Alan

Note: Teles don't have trems and can give a lot of either grit or twang but you never see anybody recommend them for young beginners. I'm really not sure why.

Alan

From what I'm aware & seen kids and younger teens go for the V's & Explorer style guitars since they like the STATEMENT more than how easy they are to play.

The problem with a Telecaster is its a very plain guitar compared to its brothers so only more mature experienced players go for them.

BUT thats a good thing I think as TELE's are well made but also hold their value better as kids steer clear of them.

If this is not supposed to be a surprise for the boy, why not just take him to a guitar shop and have him try out a few and see what he likes? That way he is getting what he wants (granted he isn't looking at a Gibson Les Paul Custom) and you can check it out in store and get it set up and all. Just makes sense to me... I also recommend an inexpensive modeling amp (Peavey Vypyr 15 comes to mind) so he can have some effects to play around with.

I had him to the shop we bought my grand daughter's acoustic from and is taking lessons. The people there were great. They showed us a few alternatives that would FIT him. He seemed to like a used Epi SG (I believe). Being used, they would restring and set it up for him. SO, it's not a surprise. He asked us for it. We have until July to find what he wants. That's why I'm starting this search EARLY. Thanks again, Dean

I had him to the shop we bought my grand daughter's acoustic from and is taking lessons. The people there were great. They showed us a few alternatives that would FIT him. He seemed to like a used Epi SG (I believe). Being used, they would restring and set it up for him. SO, it's not a surprise. He asked us for it. We have until July to find what he wants. That's why I'm starting this search EARLY. Thanks again, Dean

I remember when I was a 13 year old kid, going to Ray Mullen's music in Pawtucket, RI and playing the SG's hanging on the wall. Being 13, I didn't have the funds for a Gibson SG, and Epiphone didn't make them then. What kid wouldn't love an SG ? They are cool "devilish" guitars that sound and play great. Smart kid.

I remember when I was a 13 year old kid, going to Ray Mullen's music in Pawtucket, RI and playing the SG's hanging on the wall. Being 13, I didn't have the funds for a Gibson SG, and Epiphone didn't make them then. What kid wouldn't love an SG ? They are cool "devilish" guitars that sound and play great. Smart kid.

He takes after his GRAMMPA!!!!!!

Archived