Gibson Brands Forums

I'm selling all my guitars, hanging up the picks....

onewilyfool

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Wily. Campbell and Lukather not exactly a pairing I'd have gone searching for on YouTube, I must say... Quite a find. Very nice playing, even if they are just having a laugh. I want to spend more time researching Campbell on guitar, especially having checked out some of the videos of him alongside Jerry Reed now. Some rather nice jazz stylings going on amidst the country, and a rather nice blonde 335 on one video. It's interesting to hear and see more of guitarists whose talent has been hidden by something else. Unfortunately must get back to the translation which is the bane of my life at the moment though, and can't afford to hang around here or on YouTube for a few days...

Saw the show in St. Pete last night. Ohhh Mamama!

The thing that makes Tommy so great, beyond the virtuosity, is his humor and sense of showmanship.

I saw him once in Toronto. Some local Shadows fans had convinced him to come and play in a hotel meeting room!! There were about 50 of us! I'll never forget it.

He really has stretched himself and the acoustic to the limits of their capability.

Glen, Roy Clark, and most acts coming to the showrooms always brought Ovations for acoustics. I always wondered why. Now I feel that, for one thing, they're nearly indestructible, which is a big deal on the road, and if you do break one, they're not valuable. For another, they all sound alike, so they are interchangeable, and both the gear manager and the sound man love that. Finally, once you put the electronics in an acoustic and run it through the PA or board, it might as well be an Ovation as a pre-war Martin.

Roy Clark, in his show, upon first grabbing the Ovation, would make a sight gag out of trying to fit the round back against his large tummy. After mashing it against himself a few times he would say "Something's not right, it pooches out where it ought to pooch in! Well, as my daddy always said: If it don't fit, don't force it."

Brian

Glen, Roy Clark, and most acts coming to the showrooms always brought Ovations for acoustics. I always wondered why. Now I feel that, for one thing, they're nearly indestructible, which is a big deal on the road, and if you do break one, they're not valuable. For another, they all sound alike, so they are interchangeable, and both the gear manager and the sound man love that. Finally, once you put the electronics in an acoustic and run it through the PA or board, it might as well be an Ovation as a pre-war Martin.

Roy Clark, in his show, upon first grabbing the Ovation, would make a sight gag out of trying to fit the round back against his large tummy. After mashing it against himself a few times he would say "Something's not right, it pooches out where it ought to pooch in! Well, as my daddy always said: If it don't fit, don't force it."

Brian

Brian,

Do you think the reason, maybe above all those you listed, that so many people were playing Ovations was that they were among the first to put electronics in an acoustic?

57classic,

As good an explanation as any, and the period I was involved with these acts was '70s-'80s, so a lot of what we take for granted now was new then, including Ovations themselves. They were the iconic guitar for a while, riding a wave.

I just now looked on Wikipedia and, lo and behold, found this:

"Ovations reached the height of their popularity in the 1980s, where they were more often than not seen during live performances by touring artists if acoustic guitars were being played. Ovation guitars' synthetic bowl and early use (1971) of preamps, onboard equalization and piezo pickups were particularly attractive to live acoustic musicians who constantly battled feedback problems from the high volumes needed in live venues."

'Nuff said.

Brian

Archived