Gibson Brands Forums

I'm selling all my guitars, hanging up the picks....

onewilyfool

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gawd, that is staggering! But here's the thing.... how much time does TE have to spend per day to be able to play like that. And are any of us in a position to dedicate that amount of time? I can't, plain and simple. I have to work every day, then I have to sleep, then I have to clean the house, I got the horse, the cat, yardwork, etc. In a perfect world I wouldn't have to work and I could spend some decent time playing. [biggrin]

Now this floats my boat. Good beat and a big soul. And it doenst make me feel like hanging it up (forward past the taking part for the music).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIsqu-18T0Y

Guy Davis. Long as You get it Done.

Completely enjoyable performance

Great guitar

Love the song

And the flower was a nice touch too [smile]

The friend I went to see Tommy with was amazed, as anyone would be. He also felt the the performance was so over the top that he didn't completely enjoy it. Some people had similar feelings about when John McLaughlin, Al Dimeola and Paco Delucia played together. I admit that I much prefer seeing artists like these as opposed to just listening to a cd.

TE's great. But he still has a bit to go to catch this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqnU83wPmfc

Check out the right hand control.

Two years ago, I had the opportunity to set down with Roy and pick a few tunes. (on his guitars!) He really is one of the nicest guys I've ever met. Really eager to help you in any way as far as how to chord or learn something on the guitar. Super guitar player! His gentle personality and compassion for others struck me more than his ability to play guitar.

Look, of course, I'm just kidding. But this guy must be from another planet. He doesn't really appear to be human....lol.....AND he smiles all through the playing, as though it is effortless....... this guy really burns me up....lol......

I saw him live a couple of months back, and that was one of the things about the show that amazed me the most: He was up there playing incredibly difficult things, but one could see he was just having a ball like a kid in a candy store.

I was talking to a guy after the show who has been playing for over 40 years, and his comment was "After seeing that, I just want to hang my head in shame". I totally agree. LOL, I didn't actually sell my guitars, but I was so depressed that I didn't even touch one for 3 or 4 days...

Tommy is a fantastic and incredibly acomplished player,but for some reason his technique ,sound and style just doesn't float my boat. unsure.gif

What I was driving at, but more kindly. TEs immensely fluid and plays a wide range of stuff, of which the sample is a part, but, by itself, there's no tune, no song. Running scales/chord sequences isnt that hard (with practice. lots of practice). But can you feel it?

What I was driving at, but more kindly. TEs immensely fluid and plays a wide range of stuff, of which the sample is a part, but, by itself, there's no tune, no song. Running scales/chord sequences isnt that hard (with practice. lots of practice). But can you feel it?

It doesn't diminish my admiration of his talent in any way, but I agree 100% with what you're saying.

I have no doubt he can play the Reverend's tune...but can you feel it? I know Nick could...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY8YaLQ8H74

I'm happy that TE is getting the respect and admiration he has long deserved.

Of course Roy if great, and he's had a national and international stage for many years. One of the best flat pickers ever.

I know I'll never be in their league. Their talent doesn't diminish mine, or make me want to hang it up.

I'm grateful for every day I can still play, (eventually my fingers will quit working all together).

Stunning, Stellar...One and all. There is still hope for us less gifted pickers. A quote from the great Willy Nelson if you will. "It's not how many notes you play per measure. Unless,of course, you are getting paid by the note. Sometimes it's about the notes you don't play".

Something to think about... Give a listen to Willy's Stardust album.

Archived