Gibson Brands Forums

$599 Les Paul Junior at Guitar Center

truetone6

i got one. i got there couple days after the sale... but they applied the $100 off. so it went to $599, then they took off another 10 bucks... so i paid 589.00 + tax... whoopty doo...

so i take her home, and she's set up with light strings. they need to be heaver, and the action raised a touch. However, the 490T is pretty godda**'d hot. some nice sustain when used through a Boss DS-1 Tone @ 1 o'clock & Dist all the way!

ah well... i don't buy a ton of guitars, & i use them as tools, rather than museum pieces. so i'm happy. some folks may not care for the matte finish, but if it wears too soon, you can get those mojo scratches all the sooner! overall for the money its a good rocker's instrument. Take out your frustrations on Johnny Thunders songs to this sweet mustard yellow git-box!

any idea how many they're gonna make of these? and what's the difference between a 'Dealer Exclusive' and a Guitar of the week?

HEY Guys,'

I have purchased BOTh these models for a couple of my students at my discount to save them a few bucks. Before jumping on these pleaseremembber these are GC ONLY guitar meaning they got to spec everything. Someof the bodieson bioth were 2-3 pieces glues together cutting down on sustain and resonation and promoting potential heaving neck sweiing for drying to FAST . That is what made the older 50's,. 60. 70, GIBSON SO GOOD was the slow drying technique which took up tpo 3-5 years for some woods.

For a guy who wants to try out a P-90 equipped guitar the Tribute is pretty good...It can be purchased as low as 700.00. It comes with an Orange drop vs the cheap capacitor they put inother guitar to help with tone and it does. AS long as the polayer who purrchases this nows it can ot beuses as a GO TO guitar but a practice and a couple songs at a gig it will serve you well..

As far as the Jr.....I found the weight differences to be HUGE betwen 3 models....yet though I am a HUGE p-90- fan and was a bit disappointed in what I saw once plugged in and fooliong around with the push/pull pots which I agree gives it more versatiltiy it diod not sound bad at all.

My biggest concern is the loss of sustain and that crystal clear tone of a p-90, but that ;s what I like about my Jr and this can not be compared toa Original 57 but it does have it;s place again my only concern is the 3 piece body and the fact that it is a GC ONLY distributed guitar. It basically has the grade of wood in an EPI not that that is bad but it is not that of a Gibson.

AS long as the coming humidity does not swell these two FAST DRIED guitars in the upcoming summer for the price you'll enjoy it.....If you decide you prefer a P-90 BARE KNUCKLES make a probably the best HUMBUCKER sized P-=90 in ther Missippi Queen and ManHattan P-90's and but you will lose the 4 condutor push /pull capabilities as I just ordered one for a BFG touse inthe BRIDGE.

I hope this helps you guys on the fence... the JR;s were on sale for 599.00 fopr presiodents day and from what my buddy who is a GC manager told me that was COST toget the word out but they can stillbe had for700.00 if ya have the breathe to haggle and the same price willget ya a tribute if they begin to stock them up but as long as they are fetching 1200.oo on EBAY sadly you'll pay ful lprice.

I hope I was able to help thoseon the fence....GO FOR IT !!!

BTW please excuse any spelling problems and useof caps I have cataracts problem and it;s real hard to see in the AM.

ST JAMES

• 4 months later...

hi

im from england and just bought a tv yellow one from the orange blosson trail store in orlando last week while we were on holiday. i had a coupon but the salesman knocked a lot of dollars of the guitar for me which was worth more than the coupon. in england a les paul junior would cost me approx £700 which at todays exchange rate would be approx $1100 , igot mine for just over half this which in my eyes is a great deal for what i think is a great guitar.

the neck is really nice to play and the fingerboard is nice and smooth.

my question is does anyone know how to clean and care this torrefied maple? can i use lemon oil?

Beautiful collection of guitars. I would love to have that JR, but just a little constructive criticism: you need some help in the decor department. Those paintings have got to go.

DSCF0014-1.jpg

Yeah, I've got to agree on both counts. Nice guitars, but the Crib there is looking more than a little pedo-creepy. You def need a woman around the house to get rid of that "Teddy Pederast"-vibe you got goin on there.

:)

Is that the Joe Bonamassa Studio GT you got up there too? I've heard those are pretty sweet.

Archived