Gibson Brands Forums

2011 SG Standard 60's with split coils-With pics

scuba200ft

I'll start out by saying, I own multiple Historic Sg's, so I know from whence I came so to speak.

GC has done a couple of exclusive SG runs this year. Split coils on both.

The 1st run had a 50's neck, and was available in white and silverburst (ebony board). Covered pups. I have one of these in white. It is outstanding.

Now comes this most recent run. 60's neck. Available in cherry and brown.

Let me simply say, the stuff coming out of Gibson right now is ridiculous. I prefer smaller (not ibanez smaller) necks. The neck on this is exactly like the profile on the Traditional Pro lp which I owned briefly. Just right.

I DO like big necks too. My R8 is wonderful, but for different reasons and different styles of playing.

The neck joint is SOLID. I've owned a few 61 re-issues over the years, but always hate the wobbly neck thing. None of that here.

It's light, loud acoustically, a one piece body(I think, hard to tell anymore), the BB3 screams in the bridge, the setup is ridiculous right out of the can (though I do my own once I get them home). These are Plek'd if you buy that whole thing. The color is not as red as it looks in these pictures, but close. If you have an original Angus signature, its very close to that, with a bit more grain showing through.

Absolutely PERFECT fretwork.

I suspect i'll get one of these in brown as well if I come across it, maybe for a different tuning.

I used the GC Presidents day coupon and bought it for $1100ish. It absolutely makes me wonder about my Historic SG's.

Grab em up boys. Great guitar, and if you know me, I dont throw that term around.

_MG_5223.jpg

_MG_5224.jpg

_MG_5229.jpg

_MG_5231.jpg

_MG_5235.jpg

_MG_5233.jpg

scuba200ft

Can you tell me more on the siverburst or white coil splitting sg in GC catalog for 1299 ? Its the one with the "61 thin flat speed neck and ebony fretboard...

(their number 583403)

Does the ebony fretboard make the burstbuckers brighter?

I have a sg 3 heritage cherry with the three "57" picups and a fat neck. To fat for leads, perfect for chopping slow blues.

I also own a studio faded with burstbucker pros.

What i wanted was a "61" reissue, but price and neck stories are turning me off..Trying to get a used one in decent condition, at a decent price is also not easy.

So what i am after is a thinner neck Sg like the reissue with the "57" pickups, and was thinking of that white SG with the coilsplits i mention, then if i don't like the burstbuckers for another 200 i can get the "57"s with the four wire, put those in and split them..I have been debating this as the last two reissues I looked at were disappointments, and over priced. Any comments on that idea would be helpful.

Did the white sg coil split guitar come set up as good as the other you mention? Are the frets perfect. low action?...any pics would help also...

Oh where did you get the 200 coupon, thats sealing the deal. I have to act fast if thats a presidents day special..

thanks tom

scuba200ft

Can you tell me more on the siverburst or white coil splitting sg in GC catalog for 1299 ? Its the one with the "61 thin flat speed neck and ebony fretboard...

(their number 583403)

Does the ebony fretboard make the burstbuckers brighter?

The OPs is rosewood, I have a GC 60's neck with coil-splitting/ebony board, the tone seems a little brighter, more articulate but this is the only gtr with BB 1&3 pups that I've played. The BBs sound clearer than the 57s that were on my '61 RI.

I also bought one during the Presidents Day sale and I'm extremely pleased. When I got it home I found that it needed no setup at all. The intonation was perfect and the string height was just like I like, low with no fret buzz. I thought that the neck was Plek'd but there was no documentation as such. The GC guys are pretty worthless when it comes to product knowledge although I should probably cut them some slack since it is the new store that opened in Louisville in January.

I kept wondering why it was red when the only kind I could find online were white and silverburst. Are these only available at GC storefronts?

Archived