Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions of the Prophecy SG

Dougefresh91

I recently saw a really nice one go on ebay for $300. If only I had the money to waste...

Anyway, what's the general consensus on these guitars? Are they worth paying $500 or $600 for, because I highly doubt I'll run into another deal like that if/when I'm ready to buy? I've also came across a few LP Prophecy's which are really nice looking as well. What's the deal with the EMG pickups on them? Better or worse than the GX?

Hey, Doug!

I own both the SG and the Les Paul version of the Prophecy GX. They are far and away, two of the best guitars I have ever owned. Beautifully appointed, silky smooth ebony necks ... just an amazing "bang-for-the-buck" with these models.

I love Gibson's "Dirty Fingers" pickups. Hot as hell and they never muddy up ... no matter how much you pour on the distortion. Played clean they are warm and bluesy ... with just the right amount of dirt in them. I'm sure the EMG's found on the EX versions are fine if you like that tone. I'm not a big fan personally ... to me, you could install EMG's on a hockey stick and it would sound the same as every other EMG-equpiied guitar. I prefer a little more personality.

Oh ... did I mention that the GX guitars come equipped with coil splitting> Ever MORE versatility! $300 is a killer price, but even if you end up going retail on one of these, you will NOT be disappointed! Good luck!

ProphecyTwins.jpg

Jim

I actually did search, but I guess I didn't do it right because you can't include "SG" in your search. It's too short. Kinda bizarre considering the circumstances.

Thanks, midiman56, good to know. I don't know what the EMG's sound like, so I suppose trying before buying would be ideal.

Wow, the coil tapping thing sounds awesome.

Would you say the neck on this is thinner than a regular SG? They say this guitar has a, " SpeedTaper satin neck". Not sure what that means.

Yes! I'd always been sort of resistant to SG's prior to playing the Epiphone Prophecy. Those wide, flat fretboards just didn't do it for me. The Prophecy series guitars all have the same 24 fret (!) neck and measure a slim 1.68" at the nut. The satin neck simply means that instead of having the same gloss finish as the body, the back of the neck is a smooth, more dulled down, "satin" finish ... very non-sticky and fast ... even if your hands get sweaty.

Jim

Yes! I'd always been sort of resistant to SG's prior to playing the Epiphone Prophecy. Those wide, flat fretboards just didn't do it for me. The Prophecy series guitars all have the same 24 fret (!) neck and measure a slim 1.68" at the nut. The satin neck simply means that instead of having the same gloss finish as the body, the back of the neck is a smooth, more dulled down, "satin" finish ... very non-sticky and fast ... even if your hands get sweaty.

Jim

Aw, that might be a deal breaker for me. The whole reason I bought a second guitar (my first being my Fat Strat) was because I wanted something with a fret board that was a bit wider due to my large hands. If my past research is correct a Strat nut is 1.6875 and a typical SG 1.695. Doesn't seem like much on paper, but in practice it makes a huge difference. A bit more room for error is great for my inexperienced self. Though I suppose nothing will compare to actually holding and playing the guitar.

Charlie, you are absolutely right. If I owned one I would want to talk about it too!

They seem like great guitars!

Dougefresh91, just so you know, the regular G400s have a nut width of 1.68 also.

Really!? Wow, I didn't realize. I swear my Fender feels like it's a bit narrower than my SG/G-400/whatever it is. Maybe it's the extra chunk on the back of the neck and the fact that the fret board isn't flat that makes it feel so much roomier.

Matter of fact now I want to measure it because I'm really curious if it's been an illusion this whole time.

• 2 months later...

I have the SG EX and I'm VERY happy with it. Never had active pup's before. Actually not really my thing

but GC had it for $450 and it is beautiful in person. Plays like butter. Short 9volt wire burns me up.

But other than that it's pretty sweet. Havent owned any Epi's since my 96 LP Birdseye maple top.

But I would say the build quality is pretty good.

Forgot to mention this beast is headstock heavy. Keep that in mind when matching it

with a strap or the headstock will hit the ground first time you let go of the neck.

I have made it my lifes mission to obtain another Gibson SG Standard in Cherry like the last one I had. I LOVED that baseball bat neck, and it played like frikkin' but-ter, that guitar was so smooth, even with the tacky nitro-neck...I MUST HAVE ANOTHER!!! And not sell this one, I don't care how bad I need the money...but I got to try out one of the GX SG's from Epiphone, and they are fine guitars. They too play like butter and sound surprisingly nice for such hot pickups, and I concurr with Jim on the EMGs, they never did a whole lot for me sonically, Dem00n will tell you they sound like crap, and I'm inclined to agree with him.

I returned a Prophecy SG GX after evaluating it for a few days. The guitar has a lot of nice features on papaer that just didn't translate to a quality instrument. The execution was lacking. The neck profile is the same as the G-400 neck profile, it's just satin on the Prophecy instead of gloss. I like both necks, they're both plenty fast. The dirty fingers pickups don't sound any different to me than the G-400 pickups. The appearance of the Prophecy is OK, I find the G-400 looks a little better. The Prophecy neck is bound, which is superior to the unbound G-400 neck. I didn't play the EX, which is the EMG equipped version. Black instead of burgundy, different sound. If you like the EMGs I'm sure they're fine.

Overall the G-400 is half the price & on par or better in many respects. I found the quality control on the Prophecy attrocious. The G-400 I finally bought was far and away a better guitar.

Good Luck & Happy Choosing.

Archived