Gibson Brands Forums

What do you prefer, vox or marshall?

nikko18

Isnt soldano designed over the marshall design? ...just asking... Dont know if the guy was asking about those brands or the amps made after them too. (soldano' date=' mesa, matchless, bad cat... damnit, dont remember any fender stepsons right now...)[/quote']

Maybe, but taking a good design and making it better is...better...right? BTW, what Marshalls are 6L6 driven? lots of them?

Vox would be my 2nd choice. Owned several models but my AC30BM is amazing' date=' great tones. (one of the loudest amps

I've ever heard). Yeah, Brian May inspired my interest in Vox.

First choice.... MARSHALL!

I've owned / played many amps. Favorite by far is the Marshall Vintage Modern 50 watt head and matching cab.

This amp gets the sound I've been looking for, the one that sounds like "me".

[/quote']

Agreed. I have a VM as well and it's the best amp I've ever played through.

Why choose? Buy an 18 or 20 watt Marshall which uses EL84 tubes thus picking up some of the Vox characteristics. And it is usable at a reasonable volume unlike EL34' date=' 6550, or KT66 tubed Marshalls. BTW, Nik at Ceriatone makes an 18 watt Marshall clone with a EF86 (Vox) channel and a Marshall channel - why choose indeed![/quote']

Well, you sold me. After this post I started researching those ceriatones and then found a great deal on a lightly used 18w head configured just as you described. Damn these forums, cost me money!!!

I'm pretty excited, bought a 2x12 cab for it as well. ROCK ON! Thanks for the heads up Surfpup. Iwas going to buy a mesa boogie express or a fender supersonic combo, I think I got a lot more amp for the money going this route.

normal_Ceriatone002.jpg

normal_Ceriatone003.jpg

Gonna get some pics with the LP and cab up soon!

Hello friend

I'm YangGuang' date='I'm glad to meet see you.

I would like make the friend with you.

I like Gibson guitar too.we have a manufactory and offer the different style guitar.

Thank you![img']http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/eusa_drool.gif[/img]

What tha F U C K is going on here?

Go try to sell your sh¡t somewhere else.

I wouldn't get either of them - get a Dr Z combo instead. I have a red Maz Jr. 18 watt 1x12 combo that has a master volume and Reverb is at 47 lbs. and is simply terrific. Blows the Fenders away! The Dr. Z is about tie with the Marshall. If you plug a Les Paul into a Marshall you know exactly how it's going to sound, but the Dr. Z is more experimental depending on the choice of guitars. I also have two Marshall half stacks, or if I combine them, one great full stack. I have a DSL50 watt JCM2000 with Winged C EL34 Power tubes and 2 12AX7EH and 2 12AX7EI in the preamp section. It sits on top of a 1960 BV cab with 4 Celestion Vintage 30s. Slash uses these straight cab speakers. This is a fairly powerful, great sounding half stack that sounds great at bedroom volume. It is large and bulky and I do not move it around much if all possible, even though it has wheels. I use it in the largest room in the house. I used to be into 50 Watt AVT heads and had two of them with the 412A & B cabs. They also sound excellent in small rooms at bedroom volume. I upgraded the speakers in the A cab to 2 Eminence Wizards, a Governor and a Private Jack. This amp is a hybrid with a single 12AX7 preamp tube, but I traded one (the A) of the half stacks for a custom made acoustic guitar with African Satinwood and a Mahogany neck. The one cab (cool.gif that I still have is tricked out as well, with a Celestion Vintage 30 and a G12H30 70th Anniversary and Two Eminence Tonespotters. The Dr. Z has the 70th Anniversary as its only speaker. If given the choice, the DSL would win out hands down over the AVT, but with all this power for regular gigs, I actually take the 50H AVT head off of it and use it with two 10" Eminence Ramrod speakers (each in their own custom painted cabinet) that I made from my old Lafayette stereo speaker cabs from the mid 1970s. I took out all the guts and rewired and installed jack plates and ports where the old 6.5" midrange and 4" tweeters speakers went. I put metal wire screen covers over the speakers to protect them. It is very portable this way and almost indestructible and the little 10 Ramrods are each rated for 75 watts and wail. If you use pedals that have 12AX7s like my EH English Muffin your preamp section is improved and this amp sounds great. I have also had a Mesa Boogie F50, with 6L6s, but traded it for a 1997 American Standard Telecaster - wasn't crazy about it though.

Hello friend

I'm YangGuang' date='I'm glad to meet see you.

I would like make the friend with you.

I like Gibson guitar too.we have a manufactory and offer the different style guitar.

Thank you![img']http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/eusa_drool.gif[/img]

I don't think anyone around here is going to want to "make the friend" with you.

Well' date=' you sold me. After this post I started researching those ceriatones and then found a great deal on a lightly used 18w head configured just as you described. Damn these forums, cost me money!!!

I'm pretty excited, bought a 2x12 cab for it as well. ROCK ON! Thanks for the heads up Surfpup. Iwas going to buy a mesa boogie express or a fender supersonic combo, I think I got a lot more amp for the money going this route.

[img']http://www.fivezerofive.com/cpg132/albums/userpics/10017/normal_Ceriatone002.jpg[/img]

normal_Ceriatone003.jpg

Gonna get some pics with the LP and cab up soon!

That's the 20 Watt model in the pics. Two channels, no master volume. It's gonna sound great - but loud! Enjoy. I went for the 18 watt TMB (treble, middle, bass) design and had Nik wire a post-phase inverter master volume into it instead of the normal pre-gain type of master. It's perfect. I'm looking forward to hearing how yours sounds with your LP. Keep us posted.

Looks great surfpup, I ordered the avatar 2x12 as well with the same speaker setup (open back).

I think yours with the master volume sounds like a great circuit. He had Nik add a half power switch that is supposed to take this one to 9w. I think it will be loud either way, but I am ok with that. I live in a racous neigborhood where the young folks party outside late on the weekends. So I get up first thing in the morning and crank my guitar. eusa_naughty.gif

I'll get some impressions up when my cab arrives.

Archived