Gibson Brands Forums

What's Up With GC?

Out_Of_Control

](*

I guess what you guys call sharks I call guppies... I aint scared of them, I get treated much better at GC than most of the other shops. Smaller shops kick me out because I mention GC or MF prices, great for business huh? Maybe if some of them would start competing and treat people better they could build their business up, bigger, - BIGGER **BIG** ...[/quote']

Hey, tonebias,

In my area (Austin), I actually have a good independent dealer. When I bought my R8, the two local GC's didn't have anything I wanted, so I didn't need to deal. The local dealer actually had prices about $300 lower than GC. The big thing I don't like about my local GC store is that they turned their soundproof room into an office for some local bigwig sales guy. I don't want to be out on the floor trying to distinguish nuances of a $3000 guitar with 10 other guys plugging into loud amps and loud background music!

Anyway, I'm surprised the local shops don't change their ways.....

-Brad

The last GC that I went to in Brea, CA was ordered by thier insurance company to have the "Good" guitars in a large seperate lockable room. In this room there are many nice LP's and other guitars along with some choice amps.

This is where I found my latest LP and purchased it. The price was high, less than online though, so I said "is this this price?" He looked at it and said, "Let me check the computer" and came back with a better price (they were just introducing the 08's that very day) All the previous models were going on sale and I just happened to get there at a good time. I got the guitar, the original case that it came in, the original cardboard box that it was shipped in (matching serial #'s). They do have some of the other LP models on the floor.

I totally understand about not wanting to play around on the floor with punk kids attempting 'Crazy Train' and cranking the amps. I prefer to go to any music store during the weekdays in the morning to avoid those kinds of situations. But, then again, sometimes it's fun to talk with others while messing around with the gear trying to figure out some of those newer overly complex half solid state, half tube amps.

I still think you'll find some of the best prices on MF.... no bargaining of course, but prices are low to start with. I prefer to get all my music stuff from a local store where I know every one of the employees... that helps. the amp I'm using (Marshall avt275) was on for $1200 (new) and I got it for 750 tax in.

The MFers will not go below M.A.P. in their pricing, Gibson will drop their franchise.

When they do a close out, they will, but everyday prices can not be lower than that.

Walk-in stores can sell below Minimum Advertised Price if they want, as long as they don't advertise it. My dealer sells 90% of his stuff slightly below MAP, beats GC prices every day.

And we have four GC's in Phoenix...

If you don't have a good independent dealer in your area, mail order may be the only option.

Still, I urge you to look around and maybe drive a little. Could be a big reward.

I have a simple philosophy, I don't buy new cars and I don't buy new guitars,I'll let someone else take the beating.

you can find nearly any guitar you want ...used.

I saw a used G&L asat special for $450 at a shop today, they go for well over $1000 new.

I have a simple philosophy' date=' I don't buy new cars and I don't buy new guitars,I'll let someone else take the beating.

[/quote']

Funny... I have the diametric opposite philosophy. I don't buy used cars... just buying some one else's problem.

But, guitars on the other hand.... they're ALL good O:)!!!

Archived