Gibson Brands Forums

Keeping on top of Fake sellers

Eracer_Team

This is listed in Toronto http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-Brand-New-Les-Paul-Style-and-Tweed-Case-W0QQAdIdZ264243258

am selling a gorgeous, fresh out of the factory G Les Paul copy guitar, completely brand new and unused! This is an affordable copy of the very expensive LP guitar, made out of the same woods; 100% mahogany for that smooth, dark tone, alnico humbuckers, vintage tuning keys with real celluloid green heads, chrome hardware. Fantastic fretwork! Nice chunky 50's style neck.

Grab it while it lasts!

only thing is "Fresh from Factory" but the serial number from the Guitar Dater Project (while not a 100% is close enough) shows the following

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

January 17th, 2000

Production Number: 120

So how could a "new" "copy" be made in Year 2000?

I reported the seller to the web site.

When the seller stated it was "..fresh out of the factory.." I'm guessing he didn't mean the 'Gibson' factory. Fresh from the counterfeiters factory would make sense as they usually use existing serial numbers on their stuff.

P.

I think we all need to be more careful on here too. I'd swear I've seen a few Newbie posts from users who never posted anything else asking about whether a serial # was genuine, or uploading pictures of guitars asking if they looked like copies or not, and while they may just be innocuous postings from legitimate Gibson fans, I'm afraid when we are pointing out all the telltale signs of a counterfeit all we are doing is creating better counterfeiters, and I'll be damned if I'll unknowingly do their beta testing for them so they can make more convincing phony junk.

There will ALWAYS be ways to spot the fakes.....and if they ever get good enough to where everything seems right, including tone and playability, then they will not be selling them for $300 or so anymore! I, too, think counterfeiters are the scum of the earth.....It will suck when a fella can't go and buy a used Gibson without always having that doubt and sick feeling in your gut. For some without experience with the REAL thing, those days are here.

I think we all need to be more careful on here too. I'd swear I've seen a few Newbie posts from users who never posted anything else asking about whether a serial # was genuine, or uploading pictures of guitars asking if they looked like copies or not, and while they may just be innocuous postings from legitimate Gibson fans, I'm afraid when we are pointing out all the telltale signs of a counterfeit all we are doing is creating better counterfeiters, and I'll be damned if I'll unknowingly do their beta testing for them so they can make more convincing phony junk.

I take the same tack as Gibson - educate - not hiding information.

Here's Gibson's info on spotting fakes - http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/CounterfeitGibsons/

. . . . . . . And here on serials - http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/GearAndInstruments/Gibson%20Serial%20Numbers/

well, at least he said it was a copy. that is what we are looking for i think.

but what i didn't appreciate was that the ad still seemed misleading. it is not made from the same woods. technically, this is not merely a copy or a tribute, it is a forgery, as in meant to decieve a buyer. so, giving the seller the benifit of the doubt, that he is selling it as not a gibson, the statement about fresh from the factory if true, means, he is doing business and has knowledge of the factories efforts to defraud and is contributing at least on that level, or he is simply making it up.

half honest doesn't count.

I'd swear I've seen a few Newbie posts from users who never posted anything else asking about whether a serial # was genuine, or uploading pictures of guitars asking if they looked like copies or not,

Uh.. I'm not a Newbie with a first post..

Second I only posted that Ad stating I reported the Seller to the Web Page..

Third I did not identify anything other than that of a counterfeit serial number..

the rest of the assumption was yours

I stand by the statement: "That we need to keep on top of fakers" and report them to the offending sales web site.

Sorry man, I didn't mean to direct that at you, I apologize, and I second your statement, we absolutely need to keep on top of the fakers and report the ones we see out there. I do agree that the more info on how to spot a fake the better off we all are, and I'm sure the counterfeiters are not fond of us with our hypervigilant attention to detail.

Uh.. I'm not a Newbie with a first post..

Second I only posted that Ad stating I reported the Seller to the Web Page..

Third I did not identify anything other than that of a counterfeit serial number..

the rest of the assumption was yours

I stand by the statement: "That we need to keep on top of fakers" and report them to the offending sales web site.

Archived