Gibson Brands Forums

Ever Seen THIS Before?

Elias Graves

utf-8BT2tsYWhvbWEgQ2l0eS0yMDExMDMwMS0wMDA1Ny5qcGc.jpg

It's flat to this point...

utf-8BT2tsYWhvbWEgQ2l0eS0yMDExMDMwMS0wMDA1NC5qcGc.jpg

The seam follows this line and that's where the crease is.

utf-8BT2tsYWhvbWEgQ2l0eS0yMDExMDMwMS0wMDA1OC5qcGc.jpg

The seam is shown here.

I noticed it first a month ago. I saw a crease in the finish when th light hits it just right. Put it down to the aging of the finish, but i happened to notice the bow a couple of days ago.

EG

It's flat to this point...

utf-8BT2tsYWhvbWEgQ2l0eS0yMDExMDMwMS0wMDA1NC5qcGc.jpg

The seam follows this line and that's where the crease is.

utf-8BT2tsYWhvbWEgQ2l0eS0yMDExMDMwMS0wMDA1OC5qcGc.jpg

The seam is shown here.

I noticed it first a month ago. I saw a crease in the finish when th light hits it just right. Put it down to the aging of the finish, but i happened to notice the bow a couple of days ago.

EG

Looks like it's time to see about Limited Lifetime Warranty service. ASAP

That is a first. Ive seen the tops bowed (top pulling up) at the saddle and around the sound hole (on a regular acoustic guitar), but never a bow like that on the back. I wonder if that might be considered a "warranty defect" in your nice guitar. I've seen tools in the Stewart-Macdonald catalog that are supposed to fix bowed surfaces. I'd contact Epiphone for a comment (not just through this forum) if my Epiphone hollow body had an issue like that. Elias, how old is that guitar ? 3-4 years ?

Looks like it's time to see about Limited Lifetime Warranty service. ASAP

I wondered about that. I was under the impression that the warranty is void if any mods have been made.

New pickups, pots, tuners, straplocks.

Nothing done to the body though.

EG

That is a first. Ive seen the tops bowed (top pulling up) at the saddle and around the sound hole (on a regular acoustic guitar), but never a bow like that on the back. I wonder if that might be considered a "warranty defect" in your nice guitar. I've seen tools in the Stewart-Macdonald catalog that are supposed to fix bowed surfaces. I'd contact Epiphone for a comment (not just through this forum) if my Epiphone hollow body had an issue like that. Elias, how old is that guitar ? 3-4 years ?

According to the serial number, it was made in 07. I bought it new from Sam Ash on a closeout in 09.

I sent an email to Gibson service yesterday. No reply as of yet.

EG

Hmm. The Epi website says you must send in a warranty card withing 15 days of purchse. I never even got a card when I bought it.

It also states that the warranty is no good if the guitar has been modified.

Looks like I'm screwed on that front.

Right now, it doesn't affect anything, so it's more just an oddity than a panic.

EG

i wonder, if it is going to be a warrenty issue, why even bring up the point about certain mods if it is certain that is not the cause? i am not a lawyer and i do not know how the warrenty is written, but i think that not only are there laws to protect the buyer from defects, but also it seems the issue is used more of a loophole by dealers and distributers to not have to deal with the issue.

Well, it often sounds like it's about to explode.

That's just user error! :o

I like a warped sense of humor, but there comes a time when the gag is at an end!

EG

lol..i got a -1 for that. man, thats harsh!

IMO before you wait for a reply from Gibson/Epiphone I would take it to a guitar tech for some advice and evaluation before your Kat splits open. That is a total bummer. The longer you wait the worse it probably will get.. [unsure]

You lost me.

But that's easily done.

EG

on my post where i made the exploding joke, i seen i got a -1 for my "reputation" rating. not that it really matters, just thought it was a little, funny? cute? i mean, i don't really want to rub anyone the wrong way, but it isn't like i am making jokes about killing babies and such.

on my post where i made the exploding joke, i seen i got a -1 for my "reputation" rating. not that it really matters, just thought it was a little, funny? cute? i mean, i don't really want to rub anyone the wrong way, but it isn't like i am making jokes about killing babies and such.

Gotcha. Wasn't me. I thought it was a good one.

I'll go give you a +1 to make up for it. :D

EG

Gotcha. Wasn't me. I thought it was a good one.

I'll go give you a +1 to make up for it. :D

EG

+1 right back at ya!

i get a chuckle out of this stuff. got nothing to complain about, i mean, this doesn't like affect credit or anything, right?

I'm a total newb to guitars, but have quite a bit of woodcrafting and care experience. You might try getting a bit of moisture into your Kat. I would try a couple of small sponges, moistened and then wrung out almost dry into the f holes. I wouldn't want to get the interior wet at all, but give her a chance to soak up some humidity in case she is thirsty. It may not bring the warp out of it, but may very well stop further progression.

As none of the others with more experience have suggested this I may be totally off base. If it happened to me I would sure give it a try.

Alan

I'm a total newb to guitars, but have quite a bit of woodcrafting and care experience. You might try getting a bit of moisture into your Kat. I would try a couple of small sponges, moistened and then wrung out almost dry into the f holes. I wouldn't want to get the interior wet at all, but give her a chance to soak up some humidity in case she is thirsty. It may not bring the warp out of it, but may very well stop further progression.

As none of the others with more experience have suggested this I may be totally off base. If it happened to me I would sure give it a try.

Alan

Thanks. I've done that with raw boards before clamping to get warping out. Never seen it crease quite the way this has though.

I'll give that a try.

EG

Alan

actually, come to think of it, doesn't a crease indicate a crack?

good thinking throwing in the woodworking aspect, we often overlook things.

when checking for cracks on an accoustic, it helps to apply pressure and watch the reflection to see if things move.

Archived